1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Full Test Review

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Sergiospl, Dec 6, 2012.

1. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

you are not helping anyone by spreading info you know its wrong. Unless you think Acdii is faking it? Or many other owners who drove both cars.

I wouldnt recommend anyone to buy Ford hybrid until they do good test drive where they measure mpg in their own driving environment, or else they will sign up for long term deal for a car they will end up resenting every mile they make.

2. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oops! AG must know that one can not compare fuel economy averages of: 1 Camry versus 86 C-Max & 61 Fusion, but made his point anyway. I fixed it. Compare Side-by-Side

austingreen likes this.
  3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Huh.

Acdii and I both believe there was something wrong with his particular car. It happens with every manufacturer. He also got really bad service.

I would advise anyone buying any car to do a good test drive. I doubt in most places they will let you take an avalon for a weekend to see if you situation is there. We also have the factor that peoples mileage seems to improve after awhile in either system. I know mine added about 2 mpg.

You seem to just be anti-ford. OK I guess you may be anti-tesla too.;) I don't think acdii would look at the numbers I posted and disagree. So stop trying to divert. I was just trying to say the avalon should still get excellent milage. Enough with the bashing.

4. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    np. Just grabbed this years figures, to not skew summer. I am glad you improved the sample size. I think more report the ford mileage because they are disappointed. There definitely are more camry's in drivers hands. It all comes out around the same. YMMV. These cars all get excellent mileage.

If you prefer
    camry hybrid 40 > fusion hybrid 39.3 > c-max 38.8 > avalon 37.3

My main beef is when people take the CR number for one car, and the EPA for another.

I should also say that camry hybrid has the best power to weight and acceleration. If you are mostly going 65+ mph, c-max has the worst drag and will get the worst mileage. I would add that this is sparse data, and I doubt the avalon is 2.7mpg behind the camry on most drivig cycles.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I would think battery chemistry has little to do with overall hybrid efficiency. Otherwise Toyota would have figured out how to cram a NiMH pack into your PiP.;)

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My Toyota dealer will rent cars, you can ask!

7. rico567

rico567 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealer where we test drove the 'v' won't rent, claiming the insurance is too prohibitive. They did, however, offer an overnight weekend test drive, which I consider as good.

8. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think a very high percentage of dealerships, as an average, rent. But the ones that do usually have pretty decent rates.

9. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/02/automobiles/autoreviews/a-lexus-holding-its-own-vs-nonhybrids.html?_r=1&

10. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
  11. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

GS is the best handling car in the class... is that what you are trying to say or?

12. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure what class you think its in. Do you think the GS hybrid handles as well as the regular GS? The reviews don't think so. Then the BMW M5, 535i, etc.

Sorry, saw action on this thread today, and felt that I had to reply.

13. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    austingreen likes this.
  14. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Well they sold 70000 Avalons last year including hybrids (I think) and I was one of the buyers of an Avalon hybrid. I think if you drove a Camry Hybrid and an Avalon back to back as I did, you would go for the Avalon. As far as Avalon pricing, it seems the top model of Avalon hybrid costs about the same as the lowest price Lexus 300h. I was willing to go a little nuts and buy the Avalon, but I am not crazy enough to but the Lexus.
    By the way, I fit the demographic as I am a certified geezer and former Prius owner.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    IIRC, the good folks at ARRP start sending out teaser memberships at age 55. ;)
    Back when this thread started, and Avalon first went hybrid, Toyota was pretty much it for big-ol hybrid boats - unless you went Lexus. But now days, you got the likes of Hyundai and others coming up - being willing to put hybrid systems in bigger cars ... except the other folk are also willing to do it in PLUGIN. Even bigger cars are getting plugs. Are you listening Toyota/Lexus? Anyone willing to say why the company isn't willing to compete with the companies who apparently DO have people knocking on their door to build more plugins? (sigh)
    Yea, with 55 being the benchmark - and if the rocking chair fits, I better start rockin'

#115 hill, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm willing, there's no money in it.;)

17. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you like the Camry hybrid, and you have the bucks, the Avalon is a pretty great upgrade. Obviously the price difference is a bit wacky, but it is a substantial upgrade. The fuel economy is just the icing. If that doesn't mean much, the six cylinder version is a very sweet ride, and costs less.

The new Camry hybrid made me a little less dissapointed in not being a potential Avalon owner. We recently leased a 2013 Camry Hybrid XLE, with the intent on seeing how the next gen CH does. Very sweet ride, especially since it's an upgrade from our 135,000 mile 2007 version. So far, getting about 38/39 on the 2013 TCH.

18. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If my research is correct, the Avalon Hybrid and the Camry xle Hybrid equipped about the same are less than $3000 apart in list price. It's a bit of money but I don't think is falls in the wacky range.