1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 ToyPriusCHybrid bat?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Andrew Facchin, May 8, 2021.

1. Andrew Facchin

Andrew Facchin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Base
    I'm wondering how much longer my Hybrid battery is going to last me? I have about 63,000 miles on my car, just everyday driving? Also, can my car be driven without its Hybrid battery?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. RovinRon

RovinRon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm far from an expert on the hybrid batteries, but from scuttlebutt and things I have read here, those batteries last for a looong time. I have seen postings that they go well into the 200k mile distances. If course, extreme weather will also affect that. but knowing the temperate climate in the Victoria area, you probably should have o worries for quite some time. We have app. 85k miles on our Prius V and the battery still checks out strong.
    Spent many years sailing into Victoria and your beautiful BC waters on our sailboat. Hope this eases your concerns.

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    c batts don't seem to last as long on average as lift backs for some reason. that said, i think most get 150k out of them, but we do see some going sooner.
    what is the warranty there?

no, the car cannot be used without a good hybrid battery. it starts the engine everytime you step on the gas and etc.
    it's both engine and battery hybrid, not either/or.

4. Pri3C

Pri3C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You’re driving one of the most reliable subcompact cars on the road today, so it should last you for many miles to come.

If you’re looking for more insight into the overall health of your hybrid battery, get an OBD2 reader (if you don’t already have one, this is what I use) and download the Dr. Prius app. The app has a life expectancy test you can run, and there are videos on the page I linked that show you how to do it. I did the test when I bought my 2014 a year ago, and I believe the result was 88% at 45k miles (the higher the percentage the better).

#4 Pri3C, May 9, 2021
    Last edited: May 9, 2021
  5. Scubaman

Scubaman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Aqua
    Model:
    Base
    I have 212000km (136000miles) on mine (2012). I replaced 7 battery modules after getting "Replace battery pack" code. Disassembled it on my varandah and after replacing the modules did a grid charge at 350mah to balance the cells. How did I know which of the modules to replace. I did a load test and picked the 7 worst that were discharging the fastest and had the highest differential in voltage from a full charge. The remaining 13 modules had virtually the same Delta.

You can drive the car with that message, All that happens is that the engine is on all the time like a regular car. Hopefully I will be able to go another year without having to replace anymore modules. I thought about ProjectLithium but at $1400 I have to give that some thoughts vs say replacing a few modules per year. Obviously the Lithium has some advantages but cost vs future ownership vs lifesoan of vehicle etc etc.

One thing I can say is that the Original 12V Panasonic Battery is Still in the car. Amazing.

6. icspots

icspots Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Makes me wonder what will happen in the next couple of years with Aluminum/Graphine battery development.