1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 v-Five DRL

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rdgrimes, Jun 18, 2013.

1. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    1st thread, be gentle.
    The manual states that with the light stalk in the "Off" position, the DRLs should be on. They are not.
    Is the manual wrong or am I missing something? For that matter I can't see anything I would call a "DRL" in the Auto position either. Are they just really dim? According to manual, I have the USA (Type-C) switch.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think all USA Prius v's do not have DRLs... Hopefully they change that for 2014, I like led drl's...

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Curious that it's fully covered in the manual, it simply states that in the USA they can be turned off. I really want them too.

4. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What Paradox is saying is that, you need not to worry about turning it off. Disregard what the manual says. Prius v sold in the US does not have DRL's. If your headlights are off with the headlight switch in the off position while the vehicle is in "ready" mode or in motion, then you don't have DRL's. If your headlights are on with the headlight switch in the off position, then you have DRL's. The later is for Canadian models only and they may have the option to turn on/off DRL's.

5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Did some more searching, it seems that no v models in the USA have them, nor do they have the wiring for them.

There does appear to be some 3rd party mods to turn the turn signals into DRLs on the v's, but that's all I found.

6. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Congratulations on reading your manual. Most simply post here, waiting for a quick answer. Curious for previous year 2013 Prius v owners, is the same mis-information in your manuals as well?

7. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's in my manual too. You'd think Toyota would change it for US deliveries, or at least add an addendum to the manual stating DRL's are not installed.

8. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota responded to my gripe about it with the statement that the manual was printed with the "best information available at the time". Apparently 2 years is not enough lead time for changing the manual. :unsure:

Air_Boss likes this.
  9. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

The published misinformation has been out there long enough for a class to form -- and for Toyota to get out front of that inevitable class action by engineering, offering in settlement, and installing at no-cost a plug-and-play add-on. Which do you suppose will happen first?

10. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    You could go out and smash into another car, then claim it was caused because the other driver didn't see you coming - no DRLs!!!!

I'm close to deciding to just leave the headlights on all the time, I wonder how much juice all those LEDs draw? The parking lights are almost adequate for cloudy days, but we don't get many of those around here.

I also wonder how many people go into dealers asking how come the DRLs don't work.

11. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Pretty much everyone who arrives here asks.... if that's any indication.