1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014-15 head gasket problems?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Lincoln P, Apr 3, 2023.

1. Lincoln P

Lincoln P New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So I've got a 2010 prius and at 240k miles, it finally blew the head gasket. I'm looking to replace it with another prius as I drive for work and the gas milage is too good to give up. I was going to buy a gen 4 because I've heard how reliable they are, however they're out of my price range for the time being. I've heard however that there was a slight engine refreshment for the 2014-2015 models that fixed the head gasket/oil burning issues, and was just wondering if this holds true or not. Thanks a ton in advance!

mikey_t likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mid 2014 saw updated pistons and rings. whether that fixed the egr/head gasket issues is unknown.
    see my sig for vin # to buy or newer

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pistons and rings were revised to be less prone to consume oil. There were also some mods to intake manifold and EGR valve somewhere a long the course of 3rd gen. I doubt any of this prevents progressive carbon clogging of the EGR passages, and that clogging goes hand-in-hand with head gasket failure.

Buy one with lower miles, not much over 100k if possible, and keep on top of EGR cleaning. Or go to 4th gen with revised EGR system, more or less immune to the clogging, and head gasket failure.

4. Ryan Will

Ryan Will Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2015, and when I did my EGR system a few months ago, it definitely was clogged. The rest of the system was still OK, but still needed a good cleaning. Even the intake manifold had a small pool of oil near the MAP sensor. So, while the 2015 may have revisions, the common GEN 3 issues still remain, albeit perhaps a little less problematic.

One thing I can say is that after cleaning the EGR system, my engine temps appeared to be much more stable (I use a Bluetooth OBD2 reader to monitor it). From my understanding, the huge fluctuations in engine temps is part of what leads to head gasket failure.

mikey_t likes this.
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I know a couple of people here have said the same, and they got ganged up on quickly with the opposition saying engine temp wild fluctuation has nothing to do with head gasket failure. One more point for their team

6. Lincoln P

Lincoln P New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I would love to go 4th gen, but unfortunately, they are significantly more expensive in my area. A good 70k mile 2015 Prius here is only around $8k usd. I think I'm just gonna get one of them, keep up on egr cleanings (what mile interval do you recommend?), install a catch can, and hope for the best.

bisco likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If 70k mile 3rd gen is within your reach you’ll be good. Clean it first by 100k at the latest, then every 50k thereafter would be prudent.

8. Lincoln P

Lincoln P New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm gonna clean the egr ASAP after purchasing it, and then am willing to clean it as often as necessary to minimize risk. If that means every 50k then I'll do it every 50k!

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Traditionally overheating is a significant head gasket risk. Warping of the cylinder head is often found. It is as much a quick change in cylinder temperature as anything else and the 1.8L is no different.

Thermal cycling in gen3s is a significant factor. I have logged 50f swings after full warm up in the same drive session. If you are in city traffic without the ac compressor running (like in winter) the engine will cool fast. Even when the battery gets low the engine only partially recharges it and does not fully raise the temp. Return to speed and the engine rises to 195f-204f.

Certainly increased carbon and oil buildup in the manifold is a factor. But not necessarily the cause. Interestingly, Corollas with the same engine design do not see abnormal head gasket failures.

Gen4 has significant changes in the cylinder cooling including addition of an insulator. The egr pickup is after a cat and the egr cooler is physically bigger for less restriction.

#9 rjparker, Apr 4, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
    MrPete and mikey_t like this.
  10. Matth Torrijos

Matth Torrijos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2015 trim 5 prius and my HG went out at 130-140k. I would say its less risk for 2015 models but it still would happen. Other than that i didnt have any oil consumption issues

mikey_t likes this.
  11. Lincoln P

Lincoln P New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Its my belief that the reason the priuses blow the head, whereas corollas do not is due to thermal cycling. The head gasket has to endure lots of expanding and shrinking forces as it constantly cools off and heats up, whereas a corolla only has to experience these forces at start up and shut off. Just my two cents though.

ANDRAS RIMELY, Montgomery and mikey_t like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but that doesn't explain gen 2

13. mikey_t

mikey_t Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Definitely seems like a combination of issues contributing to the HG failures. I've seen a few mentions here and around the web about the gen 3 engine coolant ought to be changed earlier (around 80k). I'm wondering how the upgraded gasket in some rebuilds will hold up after time and miles, it might give a better clue if anyone still cares at that point.

14. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Coolant temperature will drop faster rolling down a long hill in cold weather with fuel shut off than it will in slow traffic, because more air is coming through.
    They wouldn't have bothered developing those cooling refinements if the 3rd-generation version hadn't been so vulnerable to thermal cycling.

EGR clogging may well be a factor, but it clearly isn't the only factor behind gasket failures.

Lincoln P likes this.
  15. mikey_t

mikey_t Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Best bet might be a rebuilt engine. Plenty of posts around here if you do a search, and HybridPit in Buena Park CA does great work.

MrPete, Montgomery and Matth Torrijos like this.
  16. Lincoln P

Lincoln P New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    As lovely as it would be to go through them, they're 9 hours away from haha. Will have to find somewhere closer.

17. Lincoln P

Lincoln P New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    considering putting a new engine in it now though. I can get jdm ones fairly cheap, however I'm not familiar with if they're any high quality in terms of head gaskets blowing or not.

mikey_t likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I believe they ship within states for free if you have can find a local installer. @GregC1979 would know.

addendum:

I have this “theory”, keep the EGR passages clear, and the head gasket will be fine.

see first 2 links in my signature. If on a phone, turn it landscape to see signature.

#18 Mendel Leisk, Apr 6, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
    mikey_t likes this.
  19. mikey_t

mikey_t Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    HybridPit uses an upgraded head gasket so it might last longer in the long run, but if the prices are similar I think you can't go wrong at this point. I might lean toward the rebuilt if you wanted to drive yours for an additional 150+ miles, just to have the upgraded HG.

Matth Torrijos and GregC1979 like this.
  20. Lincoln P

Lincoln P New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hmmm, alright I'll look into it. Is anybody here familiar with how much an engine replacement costs labor wise? trying to weigh my options here.