1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 C 4 diff/ advantages for 15 inch tire over 16?

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by Adventurer2112, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Adventurer2112

Adventurer2112 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hi All,
    2014 C 4 Have 16 inch tires. The 15 inch seems mroe available. Are there any advantages to the 15 inch tire? A future prison inmate went through the otherwise good n hood and punctured over a 100 tires.
    I called 6 or 7 tire shops, but only found Yokohoma all season 16 poem size.
    Thanks in advance.
    Tickled pink with my C
    Jack

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The c four (by default) comes with 15" wheels and tires.

The four trim was available with a 16" wheel and tire option. The option included a different steering rack with narrower limits to prevent tire rub.

Large wheel sizes are popular with the buying public for style reasons.

There is probably a comfort improvement at high speed on the 16" wheels.

There is probably a small economy loss with the 16" wheels, but I bet it would be tough to notice.

If Yokohama ever discontinued those tires, you'd theoretically be able to buy 15" wheels and continue to use the car, however you'd never get the smaller turning circle without replacing the steering rack, and that's a big dollar idea.

I realize I answered most of this in your other thread, mostly just leaving detail as complete as I know it for the next person who searches.

Also, congratulations on gaining back hours of your life. Lots of guys agonize for hours over which tires they should get. You've got it easy!

3. Adventurer2112

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hi Leadfoot,
    Thank you. I am clear now that I may or may not buy 15 inch rims in the fall, for snow tires.
    Im driving as I did my other Toyota s, so my mileage has been consistently 36 - 37 mpg.
    I think my next purchase will be a 12 volt battery.
    Thanks again.
    Jack

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I might have congratulated you too soon? From what I can see, the 195/50R16 is being made by a bunch of tiremakers. Somehow I had thought it was a more obscure size.

Maybe your local just didn't have anything else in stock?

Anyway if you switched to 15" rims you'd set them up with 175/65R15 just like the native 15" models. And for what it's worth, 185/65R14 works great on cheap 14" rims for winter duty.

5. Adventurer2112

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hi Leadfoot,
    the Yokohomas were the only in stock same day service. The future prison inmate created a shortage of my size tires in Champaign, Il. He is still loose, unfortunately.
    Jack