1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Civic Hybrid

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by frodoz737, Jan 4, 2014.

1. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Honda like Toyota usually keeps things close to the chest. Found the info for 2014 Civics "minus" the Hybrid and Natural Gas models. Anyone have better Google skills than I finding info on the 2014 Civic Hybrid. The reason for asking is because I was very impressed with the 2014 Accord Hybrid I checked the other day. Would like to see if the Civic is going with the new hybrid tech for year model 2014 as well for consideration. Thanks.

2. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2014 hch3 is the same as the 2013. Still using the IMA system. H

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the reply. Can you link your source? I did find the Fit Hybrid sold in Japan uses the new hybrid tech.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    On Honda's site, the Civic is listed as having a CVT. That or a manual is what the IMA was paired with. The new one motor hybrid in the Fit uses a 7 speed dual clutch transmission.

It may not be new new, but it does use a lithium ion battery now. The model that had the battery issues was NimH.

5. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Fit will have a similar system that the new Accord has this year . 2015 Fit.

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The new Fit in Japan hybrid has the new system. It isn't the one in the Accord. Honda has 3, or 2.5, hybrid systems now.

There is the two motor, full hybrid system in the Accord hybrid and PHV.

Then there is a one motor, dual clutch assist system that can be viewed as the descendant of IMA. It is in the Fit/Jazz now and will show up in the Civic. It can be distinguished from IMA by having a 7 speed dual clutch transmission as opposed to the IMA's CVT. It is going to be used where the cost and space for the 2 motor cant's be justified, IMO.

Finally there is a 3 motor AWD/sport system. Honda calls it a seperate system, but it looks more like a variant of the one motor one. A one motor, dual clutch transmission system powers the front wheels, and an individual motor powers each of the rear wheels when needed. I think it is in one of the Acuras now. The performance Yaris hybrid concept is similar to it.

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sat in my friends 2013 brand new Civic Hybrid yesterday. Geez, much more upscale materials than Prius. Soft touch materials on doors and glove box with pebbled like texture that won't scratch so easily like the vertically grained hard plastics all over Prius doors and glove boxes.

Thing is, customers complained about the first year 2012 Civic interior. Honda revamped it heavily after one year, so the 2013 is much nicer. Toytoa makes an interior and runs with it for 5 or 6 years no matter what customers say.

Trunk size is not too bad in Civic Hybrid. And has stylized alloy wheels, not tacky plastic wheelcovers like (most) Prius.

8. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We have a 2012 Civic (non-hybrid) and the interior is what I expect of an economy car. I like hard materials that holds up, remember all those soft dashes that cracked. It's a great car, my wife usually got 35mpg (by gauge, it understates) and it will do over 40+mpg at 70mph with a/c. We have 50k on it now. We just got the Prius 1/24/14. I am selling my 04 Accord 4 cylinder manual, I am driving the Civic and my wife is driving the Prius since she has the commute. When I decided on a lower cost hybrid,Honda was not in the running, they don't get as much gas mileage and don't have the same reliability as the Toyota hybrids. My Accord was my 5th Honda, I guess the hand me down of the Civic will make my 6th. If I was willing to spend $30k the new Accord hybrid would probably be in my garage instead, I paid $23k OTD (all taxes and fees) for my new 2013 Prius Two.

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It was more a case of CR complained and pulled their recommended, because the Civic wasn't up to snuff compared to the competitors.