1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 diagnosis apparently just in

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by C Clay, Feb 19, 2023.

1. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bought this in 2018, I've put 100K miles on it- now 258K or so. Have done only tires, oil, spark plugs (last week), and a front wheel bearing that made noise. Heck of a car, paid an extremely low cash price for a beautiful car that has only had probably 10 or so "cold start rattles" at all, until this month. Had maybe 4 of these occasions in a row about 3 weeks ago. They went away. I added a few ounces of coolant then. Heck, I don't even own any coolant- it's never leaked, and if they've added any during my oil changes, I've never noticed. I went two weeks without knocks- then experienced one two days ago, maybe couple since then, and minor one this morning. I would say no more than 4 this week. Threw codes of P0300, 0302, 0303, 0304 (I think) weeks ago (first time ever). They went away - and this week twice it has done a P0302.
    My coolant is low now I'm sad to say. Probably lost a centimeter's height from just above the plastic seam around the "F" line in the reservoir, to now around the "L" line in two weeks. Hard to tell- the plastic sort of blurs the line a little.

I'm searching in Lexington, KY or even Nashville to find a good shop for a head gasket. And there's really no mistaking it right? IT IS the head gasket leaking would you all attribute these symptoms to?

TLDR: How much time do I have and what is the danger to continuing to drive this until I find a shop to address it. I have a scanguage hooked up to it to monitor the temperature. It's been 190ish all the way on my 100 mile round trip I take to work every week.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Keep the coolant topped up, but can’t say how long.
    Could be quite a while if you’re lucky

3. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    For perspective- 10/2018 I walked into a Honda Dealership with 70 $100 bills in my pocket and offered cash for a car that had sat on their lot for a while and had a massive build-up of pollen on it. I think the miles scared people. There are very few if no $7k Prius's today in this nutty car market. I've definitely gotten my money's worth wouldn't you say?

Attached Files:

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Absolutely, I just hope mine doesn’t blow up until the market recovers

C Clay likes this.
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Once you start this rattling you're putting a load on the center section of the engine If it's done it enough times I wouldn't fix it I'd get an engine from another country from the JDM importers It's all here documented a bunch of times sure you can rebuild it absolutely put a head gasket on it and everything and then when it fails directly you have $4,000 in labor and parts and costs that are unrecoverable You can buy a whole engine for about $1,300 delivered to your door pay a local mechanic and very many markets down below the Mason-Dixon line about $800 to put it in now you have a 65,000 mi or so engine in your hundred plus thousand mile chassis I went ahead and got a transmission to go with it so both pieces are in this mileage range everything else on my chassis $250,000 but I know the two main parts that make up the system are pretty much low mileage so I should be good for a good while. With the rebuild I have no idea how it's going to go because unless these people are really good and look really close like they didn't on mine and I won't expect them to do on anyone else's because that's not how this game generally goes. Good luck

C Clay likes this.
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Found the problem- No coolant changes since initial ownership.

C Clay likes this.
  7. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What’s the maintenance recommendation? It’s never been low. Could have been changed before I bought it. Had different plugs then OEM when I changed then.

8. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Prius Chat member @HelloMcFly travels from OKC and will come to you to install a new engine. Order you engine and have it delivered to your house. He arrives and replaces it within a day. Seek him out here if you want to go that route. With 286K miles and good service records you could try a EGR Cooler, Throttle body,intake manifold cleaning. That is the cheapest. Or buy all new parts listed $500 and a couple hours to install. Or $1,300 for a new stock engine. Or if you keep the car for another 10 years. Buy a rebuilt engine from The Hybrid Pit out in California for $2,600 and have that installed. They come with new Head Gasket, etc. etc. If I was going to keep the car I personally would do that. Sink another $4,000 and drive it for another 10 years.

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ah lifetime coolant fluid gotcha.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota USA says (in the warranty and maintenance booklet, pdf available for download at Toyota Tech Info) for the engine* coolant:

100k miles or 10 years (whichever comes first)

immediately after the head gasket remedy, clean the EGR and intake manifold. See top two links in my signature.

* Toyota USA delays inverter coolant change to 150k or 15 years. FWIW, Toyota Canada says both at 100k or 10 years.

#10 Mendel Leisk, Feb 19, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  11. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I’d take 70 $100 bills they he’s got and make one time payment on a Tesla 3.1

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah still thinking about that. Cash doesn't have to be a fistful of $100's; sounds a little melodramatic, not to mention a security risk. o_O

Grit likes this.
  13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Agreed. When I made one time payment on my Prius, I wrote a check. The dealership made a phone call to the bank branch to confirmed enough funds were able to back up the check prior to paperwork.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You think a Tesla whatever 3.1 or whatever you said is going to be a one-time payment and all those cars are having trouble all the time and leave on or whoever is squeezing back warranty as we speak or on a weekly basis or whatever things have really changed over there since I got bigger or more people bought them or or or. But I don't think that'll be a one-time anything I think that can have you paying a bit more actually especially with battery failures and who doesn't want to pay etc It's just not ready for prime time yet You going to have a hundred amp charger sitting out in your property ready to go I mean I know you can.? It's going to be a long time before gas or diesel goes anywhere a long time I don't care what any government says it's going to be a long time way past my time My daughter will be in pretty good shape until she's in her probably 50s 60s.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    eek, i'm still on the original :eek:

Grit likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    our dealersprefer we finance over cash, much more profitable for them

Grit likes this.
  17. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Like supermodel signed to a modeling agency good shape? Or Instagram smartphone photos good shape?

C Clay likes this.
  18. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You get a tesla too!!!

C Clay likes this.
  19. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you avoid hot weather and only drive it on short trips you can go years without it failing. But if you go too long with really rough running you can damage dampener in transmission.

And head gasket repair might not be ideal because Toyota screwed up big time with Gen3 engines because they used weak piston rings to improve MPG and at 258K you're probably already burning lots of oil per 1K miles.

So if you want to keep driving this car for another decade or longer you're gonna want to not bother with the headgasket and start searching for a low mileage Gen4 Prius Engine (2016-present) to install instead. This will be cheaper in the long run than doing head gasket and rings and having a constantly clogging EGR.

There's an Oklahoma guy on hear that can do this engine swap in a day in your driveway for $1600, which is far and away the best price you'll find anywhere.

20. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you! This, and many other posts above, have been very helpful and the assistance I was looking for. Some other comments, no so much- but it’s all in good fun. I had forgotten how, er uh…eccentric some on this forum are .
    Met some good people here years ago- took my 2001 to Dave in Central OH to look at my car, bought some injectors from Chapman years ago, and have enjoyed the conversations. Guys, I take my 2014 to the dealer. I know that’s a mixed bag and dependent upon whose running that shop, but I don’t think my car has went without anything- they’ve certainly had every opportunity to run up the bill if they wanted.
    And with regard to carrying cash. Different strokes for different folks. I don’t have cash on me now and haven’t for weeks. But when I wanted a deal, cash talks. I bought a four year old car for 7 bills. That was a deal, and they knew I was serious. Maybe they could have said no and robbed me in the lot or followed me - I’m situationally aware and more than capable of taking care of myself. I think I may call OKC!

#20 C Clay, Feb 19, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
    bisco likes this.