1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Kia Sedona

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by paprius4030, Jun 16, 2017.

1. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everybody. We just added a 2014 Kia Sedona to keep our 2012 Prius company. I was hoping maybe somebody here knows a little about the Sedona. I've never had a car with a sealed auto transmission. Do you really not have to change the fluid and is there anyway to check it? Also do you really have to check the valve clearance at 60k miles. Take the valve covers off and all that? I can't believe you still have to do that? I thought that went out a LONG time ago. Thanks!

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Did it come with an owner's manual?
    ;)

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Didn't take much searching to find this youtube on transmission fluid change. This guy seems pretty on the ball:

What's the valve adjustment, screw and locknut? If you can get the instruction for that, say excerpt from the Shop Manual, it's an fairly easy DIY. Typically you need to crank the engine via a ratchet wrench, socket and extension on the end of the crankshaft, through a wheel well.

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  5. paprius4030

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah it says 60k. miles. From what I gather there is no way to adjust the tappets you have to replace the whole thing. Some other things I've read leads me to think that if it's not making any noise just leave it alone. I was also looking for people's opinion about changing the auto trans. fluid. From the manual the only way to check it is from under the car almost like the Prius and a manual trans. You can take the fill plug out and look in it, that's about it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No dip stick is how it's been on the Sonic and HHR trannies. I've changed the fluid in the HHR. There is still a fill hole on top, so not not much different than a transmission with a dipstick.

Before you check the fluid level, be sure find out if the engine needs to be running or not. Engine off, the fluid level was over the level plug on that HHR.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    your prius has a sealed transmission and lifetime fluid.

but i also have a question: is it a sedona, or a sorento?

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's probably correct. BUT, there's an outside chance for clearances to be reducing, and then I don't think you'd be hearing any noise. And it's the worse case, with enough reduction in clearance, valves won't seat properly, won't be able to transfer heat to the cylinder head, and that's bad.

One thing, and that link to Kia shop manual is REALLY commendable: you can follow the instruction relatively easily, just measuring the clearance. Then at least you know where you stand. I'd suspect due to shim system you'll find they're still within spec, perhaps leaning towards the loose end but not bad. At least you'll know if you check it. And have a feeling of accomplishment.

Say does Kia make a hybrid...

9. paprius4030

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah Kia does make a hybrid but I haven't paid much attention to them. I don't think I would buy anything other than a Prius. Prius never let me down in over 10 years LOL. We got this Sedona only because it was the right Van at the right time. Hope it's as good as the Prius.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. paprius4030

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    LOL yeah I know the Prius does, I guess I'm used to it I meant car's other than a Prius. And it's a Sedona mini van

bisco likes this.