1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Model S P85 joy ride for a day :))

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by cycledrum, Jan 13, 2018.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Picked up a sweet Black '14 Model S through turo.com rental for day. Owner was an engineer at Tesla now works at another EV company.

He has lot of regen dialed in which I like, can one pedal drive most of the time. Short test drive with him, mashed pedal from stop to maybe only 25 or so mph. Silly fast. Says his will do the 0 to 60 deed in about 4 sec.

How do you keep the car from 'waking up' when walk by with key? It unlocks doors and powers up when walk by it. I guess you double click the remote? I could ask owner but this will give you guys something to answer :)

Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @hill should know or can find out.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't believe it starts the car until you sit in the driver's seat with the foot on the brake pedal.

Either way, enjoy your day in the Model S!

Prodigyplace likes this.
  4. kensiko

kensiko Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    II
    Activate passive entry and it will stop doing that

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you :)

Currently setup to let out door handles and mirrors, unlock anywhere near it with key. Guy at Tesla store said put key in house or can change menu options. This 2014 doesn't have adaptive cruise control but new Model S does. That's a must have.

We stopped by the Stanford shopping ctr Tesla store today, Saturday to see Model 3. Line out the door waiting to sit in it. 100 people waiting. We'll come back weekday :) Parking at Stanford shopping very crowded on Saturday. But, oh the ladies, lots of them. :)

Tideland Prius likes this.
  6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Owner said charged it up yesterday, drove 17 mi before I picked up this morning. I've gone 89 miles so far, dash says 111 range left and touchscreen reports 117 left. Car almost 65k mi total. Owner says don't Supercharge a lot as will reduce range capability.

We went to Half Moon Bay for lunch, then Palo Alto, dinner later.

I might have to pass on a 150 mile Leaf. I think this '14 S P85 was said to have 250 mi range.

Said before, but I just love the regen / essentially one pedal driving. Guess I'm a future EV/PHEVer. Got a battery lawn mower so far :)

hill, kensiko and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. kensiko

kensiko Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    II
    Tesla are amazing cars as it is for most EVs, with the supercharging advantage which allows long trips unlike the others. And it's huge. But take note that the rwd P versions eat tires for breakfast

cycledrum likes this.
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    call me Mr. late to dinner ... for future reference, most owners like the model s door handles to auto-present their self upon approach - & similarly like it when the parking lights turn on upon approach. However the settings can be disabled in the menus. You'd hit 'Controls' (very lower left corner - icon shaped like the car) then press 'Settings' (upper center) then 'Vehicle' (tab menus on left side of the screen). That brings you to the screen where you can program the lights coming on upon approach & remain on for a short-duration upon exit.
    To change door handle settings -
    Just below 'vehicle' menu tab - you find "doors & locks" tab.
    This brings up the screen for your door handle settings.

On the better ½'s Model X, rather than present door handles, the whole darn door will Auto present (& auto close, upon stepping on the brake) . She loves it, I hate it - because you could be walking past the car / narrow aisle - & all of a sudden the door jumps out in front of you.
    Tesla plans on having more of the personal preference features that can be tied to the fob it sees 1st by over the air update programming. Already tesla has provided SOME over the air updates corresponding to which fob it sees 1st, such as seat positions, forward-looking display screen preferences etc.
    just like our computers, somehow I get the responsibility of knowing all the functions, while 'she-who-must-be-obeyed' gets most of the driving usage.
    ;)
    Also, the individual fob's will recognize cell phone that belongs for that fob, so if I hold the wrong fob while originally syncing the phone, I have to do it all over. Yep, made that mistake. Rather than cars, these things are more like computers on wheels.
    oh ... & Tidland is correct - the fob will turn on parking/interior lights, rear view mirror positions - door handles etc but it doesn't turn the car on. It's not like that little bit of current draw is going to run down the battery. However, because the better ½'s fob is kept in the office & that's only maybe 10' away from the car, I keep telling her & telling her to use the Faraday bag that I bought for her fob. If the car continually talks to the fob, (& the fob has a good size battery) it can drain the fob battery in just a few months.
    Last time I had to take the SWMBO's X in the shop, they gave us a loaner p85d with Ludacris. Like @cycledrum 's it too, was black. Hitting the accelerator in Ludacris mode actually felt uncomfortable - there was so much backward force against the body. One more reminder we are definitely getting too old.
    This has been a public service message from Tesla fun facts ;)

#8 hill, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    markabele, cycledrum and Prodigyplace like this.