1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 PIP 100k Service

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by CaliGuy, Oct 16, 2020.

1. CaliGuy

CaliGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Getting ready for 100k service on my 2014 PIP and just want to confirm if everything listed is needed:

1. Replace Transmission Fluid.
    2. Replace Brake Fluid.
    3. Replace Coolant.
    4. Replace Oil & Filter.
    5. Maybe clean EGR - would do myself if needed.

2. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hello,
    I just did all of the above at 205k, I also included inverter coolant as well. Not sure it is really needed at 100k, it’s more a personal choice. I also changed the water pump and thermostat. Both we’re working fine.

CaliGuy likes this.
  3. CaliGuy

CaliGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh wow.
    So, until now did you just do the oil & filter changes?
    Did you visually check the fluids & decided not to change otherwise what made you comfortable not changing?
    At last oil change Toyota said to replace the brake fluid......not sure what that was based on.

#3 CaliGuy, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Regarding:

1. Toyota says nothing about changing it. I would recommend around 10K miles or one year, then in maybe another 30K miles, and then really stretch it.

2. Toyota USA says nothing about changing; Toyota Canada says tri-yearly or 48K kms (30K miles).

3. Toyota USA says to change engine coolant at 100K or 10 years, and inverter coolant at 150K or 15 years. Then both thereafter every 50K miles or 5 years.

4. Toyota USA says every 10K miles or yearly.

5. Toyota says next to nothing; that it's fine till there's start-up issues and/or relevant warning lights and codes. My 2 cents: at 100K it's definitely time to clean, stem to stern. That entails the full EGR circuit plus the intake manifold, which has EGR passages.

CaliGuy likes this.
  5. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Oil and filter changes, tire balance and rotations. If you are doing the work yourself it is affordable. I recommend coolants and transmission fluid at the same time and you only have to remove the under cover once which is probably the biggest inconvenience. Visual checks are important. Brake pads still had half or more left. What I did learn is check rotors before they warp and very important to grease the caliper pins. This will help with even wear. We have been blessed to have such great vehicles but my biggest fear was a water pump failure, over heating, blown head gasket and possible warped head. We travel 30k miles a year to and from work. I just felt it was time. I didn’t replace the water pump and thermostat on mine because it only has 180k with 90k being EV miles. Not a lot of engine miles. My wife’s had 150k on the engine and 50k EV. I do believe the egr cleaning should be done sooner than I did it. It makes it easier to clean and the car has more power. I did plugs at 100k, they still looked good.Hope this helps. I also agree with Mendel.

CaliGuy likes this.
  6. CaliGuy

CaliGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you for the responses.

Potorap likes this.
  7. CaliGuy

CaliGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Update:

1. Changed the engine oil/filter, transmission fluid and engine air filter.
    2. Mechanic inspected the coolant and said no need to change as it is still at the max mark and it still bright pink color.
    3. Mechanic inspected the brake fluid and said no need to change as it is still at the max mark and it still clear.
    4. Brake pads are still at 7mm all around.
    5. I still need to look at the EGR & clean as soon as I can.

So, I guess that will be it for 100k

Will change the spark plugs at 120,000 and recheck brake & coolant fluid........sound about right?

Potorap likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    See post #4.