1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 PIP Battery Drained, Although Charged Overnight

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Gorge, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Gorge

Gorge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I went to drive to work today and found that my battery was drained. None of my interior lights were on and I'm 100% sure I turned the car off last night after I backed it into the garage. Last night I drove the car home and was mostly on EV, but drove the last 3-4 miles on ICE. I had the car charging overnight too. This morning, with the battery dead and the cable plugged in, it was making a click sound near the fuse box when I tried to start it.

The passenger seat's heater was on (I think) and I don't think any of the doors were ajar. The only door that could have been opened would be the driver's but I don't think it was half closed.

I ended up calling ToyotaCare and a guy came to jump the car. When I turned on the car, I had 11.2 miles on EV and a full tank of gas.

I'll check the battery's voltage tomorrow morning, but I'm a bit at a loss at why/how the car would be drained.

Even if by some chance I left the car on, wouldn't the ICE turn on? Would the interior lights drain the whole 12V battery although the car was being charged? Any thoughts?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you didn't leave the car on. if you had, there wouldn't be any problem unless you ran out of gas. you left something on, or the door ajar and drained the 12 volt. not while being charged, but after charging finished. it's small, and drains quickly.

try plugging it in, and see if that charges the battery enough to start it. if not, you'll need a trickle charger, and then regular testing to make sure it isn't damaged. either way, it should be under warranty.

#2 bisco, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  3. Gorge

Gorge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If I left a door or light on, wouldn't it drain from the 2nd battery that's being charged? Or does it drain off the 12V? If it was the 2nd battery, it should constantly recharge itself as it got low since I had it plugged in all night.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the hybrid drive battery is the one your charging. the 12v gets charged at the same time if it needs it, and also while your driving. the hybrid drive battery is not connected to anything until you make the car ready, which requires a healthy 12 volt. if, for instance, a door is ajar, you'll be fine until the hybrid battery is finished charging. then the 12 volt no longer is getting a charge, and believe it or not, the dome light can drain it fairly quickly. then, when you get in and press the power button, nada.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  5. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Seat heaters are only active in 'on' mode (all electrical accessories active but hybrid (traction) battery disconnected) and of course in 'ready' mode, they are inactive in accessory mode or when off.
    If you are sure you shut off the car than it's not the seat heater that caused it.

6. Gorge

Gorge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I wonder how much of a battery drain the dome light is.

By the way, thanks for the responses! It's always great to understand more about this car.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Having a door ajar overnight can run the 12 volt battery down to near drained. Maybe it's more than one light: the (two) map lights, and the "dome" light. At least on ours, a door ajar will also turn on: the foot well lamps, the door sill lights, and the door courtesy lights. It's an effing Christmas tree, lol.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  8. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had a sun visor flipped down with the little door open so that the sun visor/vanity light is turned on. I didnt notice it was on during the day time, but that vanity light will turn on even if the car is off (as long as the little door is slid open). That light, itself, drained my 12V battery (and this was when my car was only about 2 years old).

giora and Mendel Leisk like this.