1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Plug-in...lifespan expectation?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by schiffy, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The parts are around $40, and a reasonable charge to have a pro do this would be anywhere between $80 and $100. It's maybe 1/2 hour, for a mechanic with a lift.

Any mechanic can handle this; it's close in complexity to an oil change. DIY is also ok. You need to have on hand four quarts (or liters) of TOYOTA ATW WS fluid. Don't get talked into using something else. It's also good practice to replace the fill and drain bolt washers. Just ask for these items at a Toyota parts department.

The drill is to raise and level the car, remove fill and drain bolts (fill first, just in case...), drain the fluid, reinstall drain bolt and add new fluid, till it starts flowing back out (this is why the car should be level). Then reinstall fill bolt. Torque for both bolts (they're identical) is 29 ft/lb.

By far the simplest way to accomplish the fill is a funnel with a hose extension (around 3' will likely do, start with a little more and trim to suit). One other odd (maybe) odd tool you'll need: a 10mm Allen key style "socket", basically an Allen key (male) driver that can be mounted on a ratchet wrench, or torque wrench. (Honda transmissions are friendlier in this regard: they have a 3/8" square hole, just use any 3/8" ratchet wrench without a socket.)

Repair Manual instruction attached. Note: it says after doing the change, to test drive and then remove the fill bolt again and check the level. I would not bother with this, it's just a waste of time, the level doesn't change.

Lots of good info above. Yeah, I managed to bumble through this, and I'm by no means a serious DIY'r. In addition to what's been said, I'd recommend:

1. Drain a couple of quarts of the engine coolant (into a clean container) at the outset. This will dismiss the need to clamp/plug any coolant hose when disconnecting. At completion, pour it back into the engine coolant reservoir. The 2014 I believe does not have a coolant vent valve? If so, temporarily disconnect the highest coolant hose (there's a small one, directly above the EGR components, and reconnect it when coolant flows out. You might also try burping the lower radiator hose a bit while pouring the coolant back in, to help distribute it, dispel air pockets.

2. For cleaning the EGR, OxyClean solution with hot tap water is the naz! Plug one end of the cooler, mix up a solution as strong as you can, say 1/4 cup Oxy in a cup of hot tap water, pour in, let stand an hour or more, pour out and flush with hot tap water. Repeat 5~6 times. The cooler appears to be 100% stainless steel, can handle this. The valve though contains aluminium I think, and with it I would stick with brake cleaner spray and brushing, as shown in the @NutzAboutBolts video.

In addition to the usual mechanic's tools, you'll need a Torx E8 socket (for removal of studs), and a ratcheting 12 mm wrench is very handy for removing/installing the very rear flange bolts. A variety of ratchet wrench extensions and sockets are mandatory, and a swivel joint might come in handy. Plus long reach pliers, straight and bent tip. An extra-long handled ratchet wrench makes life easier too, preferably with swivel head. There are a number of difficult access bolts.

Watched @NutzAboutBolts videos on this, several times. There's the main video, and several others he references, needed to just access the EGR.

Repair Manual instruction attached.

#21 Mendel Leisk, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Others already commented on the trans axle fluid so I don't need to.

Do not get the Ohtsu tires. They are Falken brand tires but they are pure garbage. Even I wouldn't have gotten them normally but the EP422+ were sold out and I wasn't willingly to buy expensive alternatives. They are moderately better than the EP20 that came stock with the car in terms of handling, comfort, and sound. And while that's good they are however not LRR tires so I suffered quite a bit in fuel economy >15%. The Ohtsu may be better than stock EP20 but I think we can do better. I got pair of EP422+ in my Sonata last month. Too soon to know if they are good.

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    EP422+ depends on the country in which they were produced. There are differing tread patterns, mileage and pressure ratings.The Japanese OEM tires on my 2017 Prius are not rated as well as the Mexican made tires, for instance.

Tracksyde and mmmodem like this.
  4. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The big Q is the battery life. No one warrants their battery to last forever, and even in Cali, it's only for 10 years. There's nothing to say that it can go down to just a few EV miles, either, just that it'll take and hold a charge. It's the one thing that EV/PHEV vehicles still have to deal with in terms of longevity and particularly resale value. The gas engine should easily take you 200K, so if you combined that with your EV/PHEV miles, you'll see far more on the odometer before the car becomes a financial/operational liability. If you can live with the Prius' speed and pickup, you'll be fine for many years.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. on the plus side, we have not seen much degradation after 6 years.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine still has EPA specified range even using the air conditioner and driving mostly 50-55 mph. Looking forward to some day maybe not needing the air conditioner to see how it does without that extra load. I think that'll finally happen later this week.

BTW, anyone ever try driving a whole tank for day-to-day driving (as opposed to a trip) without plugging in to see how it does as a regular hybrid? I think about that sometimes, but the tightwad in me resists.

Yea Right and bisco like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's just hard to run the engine that much when it's not necessary. i don't care enough to try it. the 72 mpg i got (on the meter) on an hv only trip, and my hv mpg at the pump (as recorded in the pip spreadsheet sticky) is enough to satisfy my curiosity.:cool:

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Same here. (y)

9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe it was one of the Volt drivers here that insisted on referring to it as "the stinker".

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, that guy was so annoying.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did a quick search. I see what you mean. :eek:

Prodigyplace likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    @MilkyWay is looking at a nice running 2012 with 220,000 miles on her.

jdotPT likes this.
  13. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow! all details appreciated! loving the car so far.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check out his thread, he picked it up at auction in new york and transported to cali for a total of $4,700.

jdotPT likes this.
  15. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Cool- will do!