1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Plugin Cruising range question

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by phancock, Jan 30, 2017.

1. phancock

phancock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why when I am in full EV mode after a full charge do I see miles being deducted off of my total cruising range?

The cruising range I see when I fill up at the gas stations is for example 392miles, I pull into my driveway and charge my Prius, I drive say 10 miles on pure EV and now my cruising range says 382miles, it doesn't make sense to me the EV mode should not deduct any cruising miles since that is based on the hybrid engine not the EV battery?

also after a charge the EV range is 12.5 miles I thought it was 15?

Thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the wall charge is added to the cruising range. observe the range before and after you charge, and you'll see the addition. then, as you use ev, you'll see the subtraction. the computer gives total driving range for both fuels, and keeps track of them separately, except for the total you see in range.

as for estimated ev range, it is not a set figure. window sticker says the spa measured 11 miles on their test.
    how you drive it, and in what conditions, will determine how far you can go on a charge.
    the ev estimated range is a mathematical prediction based on your past driving ev distances.

Yea Right likes this.
  3. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Yes, I've only seen charging add to the range. I've also noticed that a full charge can also increase the fuel gauge...

4. phancock

phancock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks I did notice it, a somewhat other topic is when I get into my car and turn off EV mode why does it continue to deduct miles from my EV range (under the battery icon) on upper dash, I was under the impression I could save EV mode for later but it does not seem to behave that way it seems to deduct from EV range whether I am in that mode or not I have no choice?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you switch to hv, it uses about 20% of ev capacity. not sure why. maybe to allow for regeneration.

6. phancock

phancock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thats sucks but thanks for the explanation

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree completely.

8. Neohippy

Neohippy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Your EV range displayed depends on how you drive. Mine has been as high as 16 miles and as low was 9.5 miles.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    absolutely, and temp, weather and driving conditions.

10. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not sure if the followings is what you are experiencing but:
    If you manually switch to HV mode while you still have EV miles in the 'bank', the car will try to keep this amount for later EV drive.
    Now, if you are doing it when the engine is cold - the engine goes thru a warm-up period first. In this period, for sake of minimizing emissions of cold engine powering the car, the engine runs on minimum amount of fuel enough for warm-up but less than enough to drive the car, so the system 'borrows' charge from the 'bank' to help the engine.
    Once the engine is up to a good working temperature, it will produce a bit more power than needed to run the car and charge is returned to the 'bank' until the target above is reached (or close to it).
    Note that the return of charge to the 'bank' is preformed quite slowly to keep efficiency high. It can take sometimes 8-12 miles of highway drive at constant speed to complete. If you do not have these miles and you switch back to EV mode sooner, the return of the charge is stopped.
    Note also that if you need high power (torque actually) during the warm-up period, like high acceleration, you will cause the engine to produce it and stop the 'borrowing' of charge.

Added.
    If you are doing this switch to HV mode at the beginning of your trip, full charge and cold engine, the car will still use charge to help the engine during the warm-up as described, but I am not sure all of it will be returned later (frankly, I have not done it ever immediately at start), could be that not all of the charge is returned back. One explanation may be that the system avoids being in full charge, another may be to leave room for regeneration as bisco pointed.
    Anyways, these 'lost' 1-2 EV miles have been used to improve HV mpg, so, not completely lost...

This car is smart.

#10 giora, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    Yea Right likes this.
  11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you have it figured out, giora. If you're in EV and the engine is cold, hit the EV/HV button and notice that your MPG goes from pegged to maybe 60-75 MPG for a little while. Once the computer decides the ICE is ready to take over, you'll see MPG suddenly drop to maybe 30-40 and feel a transition. MPG will gradually climb as the engine warms up. I haven't really paid attention yet to if or how quickly EV miles come back during that second phase, but I would guess that would depend on your speed. I'm usually doing about 50 mph when I make the switch.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was referring to the second situation. when i leave my house and hit hv right away, i lose 3-4 miles that never come back, on a 50 mile trip.

13. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    But even if you punch the HV button as soon as you hit the street, doesn't the battery help the engine while it gets up to temp? I'm still figuring out stuff, having only had mine for about a month and 1500 miles so far. But I have noticed that I sometimes get back a little EV range, but never all of it no matter how I try to game the system.

BTW, I paid attention today and saw the impact wall charging and then EV mode have on the cruising range. I hadn't noticed that before. Thanks.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it must be adding some charge, hard to say how much. when it's full, it can't add any, so, not sure at what point it can or does. i lose 3-4 miles driving 4 miles at about 40 mph.

another thing is when the engine finishes warm up, it still doesn't want to use the engine. i have to really punch the accelerator, and the hsi bar goes from the middle line to the power area, and as soon as i back off a hair, it drops back into ev. i can't feather it.

15. QuantumFireball

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Do you have Eco mode enabled? If you turn it off, throttle response will be a lot more linear and allow more precise use of the upper half of the HSI bar.

Regarding losing charge when switching to HV mode: Using the ICE via MG1 to charge the batteries is inefficient, and is more of a last resort when the SOC is low. In HV mode there are various load conditions where it will use either solely EV power (MG2), just the ICE, or both combined. If you still have a few EV miles left it will use some of this in HV mode, but not all. The Energy Monitor display will show you what's going on.

16. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, in my second paragraph I should have said "full or almost full charge".
    We have several evidences of the system trying to avoid staying in almost full charge while driving, in my opinion it is done to protect the battery, regeneration opportunity can be at high rate.

Do you have any reference to back-up this?
    I think you cannot generalize and there may be situations where charging by the ICE is efficient. If this charge is done at constant highway speed, the controlled extra load of charging the battery can lift the ICE thermal efficiency thus covering the losses in the electric pass to the battery. Some reports here of Prius Prime 'charge mode' results indicate it.

QuantumFireball likes this.
  17. QuantumFireball

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Yeah it was a generalisation. I was thinking more in low speed or idle situations, where it's much better to not having the ICE run at all.