1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius 3 - Entune won't work (Pandora)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Erin Galbraith, Sep 6, 2014.

1. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is a USB cable connection needed to use Entune App Suite?
    Originally, Entune App Suite 7 required a cable connection for certain head units. On select 2014 model year vehicles, the Entune App Suite can be launched and used via the phone’s Bluetooth® 8 connection without a USB cable. To charge your Android mobile device while using the Entune App Suite 7, you may use the 12v charger or USB port. For Apple products, using the USB port to charge will prevent the Entune App Suite 7 from working; only the 12v charger will work on Apple products when using Entune App Suite 7.

2. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is your EnTune at version 3.2.0 ??

#22 DaneH5, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  3. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Check in your MFD (multi-function display) under settings, under bluetooth, the iphone settings and make sure it shows phone, music and internet connected. If not try and connect internet at this point.

4. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    There are two different in-car Entune systems, Display Audio on the lower grades, and JBL on the high-end trims. See this post:
    Why can I not make Entune App use my phone via data cable (instead of Bluetooth) | PriusChat

Erin has a Prius III, which should have Display Audio. As noted in the linked thread, on Display Audio the iPhone will connect to the car Entune system via USB, or via Bluetooth with the mobile/personal hotspot enabled on the phone. It will not work using just Bluetooth.

5. Erin Galbraith

Erin Galbraith New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK, I think I've tried everything. I tried a different cable, the app works, etc. EVERYTHING internet related on the car will NOT work, so I think something is broken there. I'll have to take it into Toyota to have it checked out...

6. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Let us know what they say.

7. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What year are you referring to in your links without me reading?? The 2014 is a different system and should be running 3.2.0. I don't know if this has been verified yet. According to Toyota FAQs, Apple will now only work on bluetooth and not with USB hooked up.
    She already said she doesn't have the JBL system.
    Erin have you looked at your bluetooth on the MFD to see if it shows the three functions enabled for your phone yet? phone music and internet??

8. Erin Galbraith

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, for bluetooth, phone and music are enabled. When I try to enable internet, I get the error that I originally wrote about. So something appears to be up with my internet/car.

9. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What version do you have installed in the car?

10. Erin Galbraith

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good question. Can you tell me how I find that out on the console? Otherwise I don't know how to find out off hand.

11. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    iPhone™ Users
    Phone must be paired for hands-free (see instructions above). Bluetooth® streaming audio may also be connected.

The Entune® application must be the current active application on the phone. Ensure you are Signed In (menu/options or settings) and the phone is in a "listening" state.

• 1. Plug the iPhone™ USB cable into the iPhone™ and vehicle USB console port.
    • 2. Do NOT attempt to connect for Internet via the Setup/Bluetooth® menus. A connection failed message will persist. This step is not needed as the Entune® services are enabled when the cable is connected and the Entune® app is launched.
    Note:
    The Entune® lockout (disconnect) screen appears on the phone. Entune® apps are accessed on the radio.

Need help completing your pairing? Call the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331

12. Erin Galbraith

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yep, have done all this before. :(

I'm taking my Prius in tomorrow to get a moonroof installed so I'm not going to be able to play around with it for a few days but I'll mention it to them when I drop it off.

13. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    That thread was from 2013, but my Display Audio system is running on 3.2.0, and it quite definitely only works with my Turn off signatures in Tapatalk USB.

That note in the FAQ is contradicted by everyone here who's used an iPhone with Display Audio, as well as by Toyota themselves in the compatibility PDF:
    http://www.toyota.com/content/entune/pdf/Phone_Compatibility_List_Display_Audio2.PDF

The FAQ has this:
    "On select 2014 model year vehicles, the Entune App Suite can be launched and used via the phone’s Bluetooth® connection without a USB cable."
    But it doesn't say *which* 2014 models that applies to - I think it's only those with the JBL system.

In the compatibility PDF (bottom of page 1) is this statement:
    "Toyota vehicles equipped with the Display Audio multimedia system require all iPhone users to connect using an Apple connector cable to the vehicle's Universal Serial Bus (USB) port"

14. Erin Galbraith

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ok guys, it's all figured out and thank you so so much for the help! I was missing something REALLY simple in hindsight now -- once I did that, it worked like a charm. I will say this: it was NOT intuitive to me and the error message that the system gives you about the app not running is completely confusing and not really accurate. But when is an error message actually HELPFUL anyway? ;)

Thanks for the help!

15. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Glad you got it working! But what exactly did you have to do, for the benefit of future readers?

16. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So what was it?
    I tried an iPhone 4 on mine and with app running , plugged in cable and message came up to use phone internet. I said yes and the entune worked through my 4 connected to my house wifi. Phone doesn't have a carrier anymore.
    No hotspot mode needed to be running.

17. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just to be clear, you only need the hotspot on the iPhone if you want Entune to work over Bluetooth.

18. ltstation71

ltstation71 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Same problem

19. Erin Galbraith

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK, I will share but I'm totally embarrassed. If it benefits anyone else though, that's good... please don't flame me! :/

I didn't have it plugged into the USB port. Because I didn't understand that it had a USB port. I just had it plugged into power. I mean, seriously... sad. But yeah, once I got in there and saw there was a whole USB port in there (it's dark in there and I just didn't know!) it was an easy fix.

People kept asking if it was plugged in, and in my mind, it was. Oops. ;) All good now!

ftl likes this.
  20. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    No flames from me! All the info in this thread will surely help someone else down the line.

Jason Flassing likes this.