1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius 3 - Entune won't work (Pandora)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Erin Galbraith, Sep 6, 2014.

1. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, still not sure how a hotspot will do that. Can the entune connect to a hotspot? That might be interesting if possible. With 'hotspot' what I am referring to is a WiFi hotspot.
    We may have all learned something here, I know I did. Hooked up some different devices to my entune. And Erin has hers working now!
    The bad thing is now you are putting it in the shop and have to wait to play with it some more!! :)

2. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Ah, I see the problem here - hotspot has multiple meanings! You're correct that the phone will use WiFi for the Entune data connection if your car happens to be in range of a WiFi hotspot. But for the iPhone to work via Bluetooth on the local connection to the car's system, it's the "Personal Hotspot" on the phone that has to be enabled, sometimes known as "tethering". This is a feature that some carriers/plans provide by default; with others you have to pay extra for it.

Here's the Apple support page that shows how to set up the hotspot on the phone, and how it works with Bluetooth:

iOS: Understanding Personal Hotspot

3. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for clearing that up!!

ftl likes this.
  4. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Happy to help! As you say, we're all on this forum to learn more about the sometimes weird ways our cars work.

5. Art Imagire

Art Imagire New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think I made the same mistake...when Erin said "I just plugged it into power", I think she meant the iphone was plugged into a car charger thru cigarette lighter receptacle. That's exactly what I did and got the "connection failed" message. Once I got my iphone cable (the one with USB on one end and 30 pin connector for 4s or lightning connector for 5s or c (in photo img_992.jpg...the upper one is the lightning connector and lower one 30 pin. Once I connected the iphone that cable, it worked!!! Could get fuel prices, poi's etc. It's inconvenient BC you have to hard connect your phone...and you might forget and leave it in your car which could make your iphone shutdown because of high temperature! Wireless hotspot won't work either, bc the Toyota system's wireless communications is via bluetooth (at least I couldn't find mention of wifit in either instruction book.) I agonized over this since we bought the Prius. Great car though! ECO display is good! Help keep the MPG high (40+) Being in California, one can't drive slow, else you get run over. I'll goose it until it gets up to speed limit and then back off to get the ECO light to come on. Well, 'nuff said this thread. Thanks for this thread and to Erin, DaneH5 and FTI Explicator for the hints! Sorry for the diatribe, but I thought it might clarify the difference between a 30 pin and lightning connector.

Attached Files:

6. LOLGuy

LOLGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My iPhone 5s Entune app only works if the phone is connected via the USB. Rediculous but that's how it is.

7. virtualy

virtualy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Maybe I'm missing something here but I have exactly the opposite experience. Pandora will NOT work in my vehicle if the iPhone is connected by hard wire (lightning data cable to USB port). It will ONLY work when the cable is disconnected, something I had to discover on my own during the first two frustrating weeks of ownership. The connection is, of course, via Bluetooth. However, I do NOT have Personal Hotspot enabled on my iPhone.

Go figure...

8. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What sound system do you have? This one dealt with the non-JBL Nav unit.

#48 DaneH5, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  9. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    See post #33 above.

10. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For virtualy?

11. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, I was confirming what you said about the difference between the Display Audio and JBL systems.