1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius Back Door Won't Open from inside or outside.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Dennis Pratt, Feb 19, 2023.

1. Dennis Pratt

Dennis Pratt New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Help!! Trapped in the backseat! Okay, not really, but my passengers do get hung up. The rear door won't open from the inside or the outside. Prior to this it wouldn't open from the inside but of course, that was due to the child lock being on. But now the dang thing won't open from either inside or outside. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I would imagine the door panels going to have to come off and you're going to have to take a look at the cable or the rod or whatever mechanism is in place luckily I haven't had to have the door panels on my Gen 3 off yet I'm sure it's coming I've had them off on the two.

3. Dennis Pratt

Dennis Pratt New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, I think you're right. Door does now open from outside, but not from inside, so I'm assuming there's a problem with the actuator, but not sure how to verify this. Don't want to buy a new one and go through the trouble of installing it if in fact that isn't the problem.

4. Dennis Pratt

Dennis Pratt New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The rear passenger door on my 2014 Prius will not open from the inside. Checked the "child lock" setting and it's in proper position ...tried it both up and down, and it's not the problem. I think it's the actuator, but wondering if there is some way to verify this? Hate to buy the part, and go through the trouble of installing it if that's not the problem. Any suggestions from the car pros out there? Thanks.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Sounds like a cable or plastic holder or slide is off or broken . I usually pull the door panel off first it's quicker for me to look in there and see if the cable or the rod is actually activating the door locks opening mechanism It's pretty easy to see when the door panels off and you're pulling on the lever.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You wouldn't just buy the actuator just to be buying it take the door panel off It's the rear door so you can leave it sitting on the other side of the seat while you're messing with this You undo this then with the door open you use the handle inside the car and you can take like a 6 mm bolt and use that as the locking pin that's built in your door frame You push the bolt into the door locking mechanism and see that it clicks onto the bolt that you're shoving in. And then pull it out push it back in pull the outside handle see if it releases You see where the cables end or the rods are connected to the door lock mechanism or the actuator which to me the actuator is the electric door lock on or off the solenoid part but I guess it's all built into one on these cars but you need to see it to see if something is just broken off of a piece of plastic or disconnected or go to LKQ and look at a junkyard car so you can see behind your door panel without taking yours off per se.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Before doing all that, have you opened the door (from the outside ;)) and double-checked the position of the child-safety selector that is hidden on the trailing edge of the open door?

Tombukt2 likes this.
  8. Dennis Pratt

Dennis Pratt New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That sounds like a plan. Thanks Tom!