1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius Backup Camera Failed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Robert Noyes, Apr 10, 2022.

1. Robert Noyes

Robert Noyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    On my 2014 Prius, the backup camera has stopped working. This happened suddenly. It was working then it went off. When I shift into Reverse, the backup lights come on. The radio system works normally - the screen doesn't go blank. Nothing really happens. Any chance it is as simple as a blown fuse that feeds power to the backup camera? If so, where is the fuse located. Thanks, Mike

2. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I own a Prius with an OEM backup camera, but I don't think I can help you with this one.

I do however, also own a 2011 Hyundai Sonata in which I had an aftermarket Pioneer backup camera installed about 8 years ago. In the aftermarket kit, there were inline fuses on the wires leading to the display console. From what I remember, the aftermarket backup camera is hardwired to be continuously powered as soon as the car is turned on at +12V. The display console is interrupted to display the backup camera feed as it is fed to a wire that is spliced with the reverse light.

Your display console screen doesn't go black or get interrupted to attempt to display the backup camera input feed. Your reverse light turns on, so that means that the reverse power is working. I highly doubt Toyota would put a separate fuse for your reverse light and your optional backup camera interrupt.

You would need to pull out the display console and identify the reverse light interrupt wire that is connected to it and see if it is loose or not connected. You can also check if that wire is supplying +12V when the car is put into reverse. If there is no +12V, then you would need to trace the wire and see if it is damaged or check if it has a inline fuse. If there is +12V on reverse and the wire is properly connected, then it may be a problem with the console itself or possibly something wrong with the camera.

I am not a car expert, so I hope this helps. The wiring may be different for the Prius.

#2 Siward, Apr 11, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  3. ealtinta

ealtinta New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    did you solve your problem. If yes can you share what was the problem and how you solved it? I am having the same problem with my Prius 2013. Thanks.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would start by going to the Vehicle Signal Check screen on the nav receiver (a lot of posts around here explain how; it's the same screen people can use to check the 12 volt battery voltage). That screen will indicate the on/off state of the backup light signal reaching the receiver. See if that changes as expected when you shift in and out of R. If it doesn't, maybe the issue involves the signal getting from the integration relay (which turns on the backup lights) to the nav receiver.

I'm looking at a 2010 wiring diagram, where that's a purple wire from the relay connector 1G pin 4 to connector L42 pin 5 on the nav receiver. But your 2013 is after the 2012 refresh so you have two different nav options (the 6.1 inch screen with the disc slot above, or the 7 inch screen that folds down) and the connection details are different, so you should really look in a 2013 wiring diagram.

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

For that matter, while you are in the diagnostic screens on the nav receiver, you might see something that tells you specifically about the backup camera.