1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius C 2, No Brakes!!!! Yikes!

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Randy7633, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Randy7633

Randy7633 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Hello Experts,

I was driving down a hill and pushed on the brake pedal. It went to the floor with no noticeable drop in speed. I finally found the e-brake and there was no damage. "whew".

I towed the car back to my house where I'm trying to figure out what could have gone wrong. Do you guys know any single point failure that could cause this near catastrophe?
    I haven't started to wrench on the car yet but I will as soon as the snow melts a little more.
    What should I look for? What could cause this issue? Aren't there two brake circuits?

Here's the raw data.

Prius C 2
    106,000 miles.
    Brake pads never changed.
    I think the brakes worked normally until this time. The car is used by multiple parties who do delivery work. It has not been babied or well taken care of. In other words, the brakes might have been grinding before this incident.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Randy

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Think I know the answer, but anyway: when were the brakes last serviced?

(See page 41 of your Warranty and Maintenance Booklet)

3. Randy7633

Randy7633 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I bought it used without documentation. I suppose I could go to the Toyota Dealer and see when it last occured? I haven't had any brake work done since I've owned it about 11 months ago. It's probably safe to assume the brakes were never serviced.

Randy

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, sadly: very safe. The US schedule says every 36 months or 30,000 miles. Toyota's cavalier in describing what's involved, and I think this has led to widepread brake neglect. The Coles Notes version

1. Disconnect and lift off caliper.
    2. Remove pads, separate shims, check/record pad thickness. Clean, apply fresh lube (molybdenum anti-seize) to all contact points, reassemble and reinstall. Also lube contact points on caliper.
    3. Remove, relube (Sil Glyde or equal) and reinstall caliper glide pins.
    4. Reinstall caliper.

If the the car's getting on, and/or there's pulsation:

1. Check rotor thickness with micrometer, against spec.
    2. Check rotor runout with dial gauge, against spec.

Toyota Canada also says to replace brake fluid tri-yearly or 48,000 km's (30,000 miles). The fluid attracts water, and that can lead to rusting, clogging. I'm not sure where Toyo USA stands, it's good practice though. It's not that hard, DIY under $20 for 2 pints of Toyota DOT3 fluid. See @NutzAboutBolts video, pinned in maintenance section, of 3rd gen. The Prius c definitely might have some differences, especially the chicken-dance at the outset, but it's still worth watching.

5. Randy7633

Randy7633 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the information.
    It seems like this is a more routine brake service. Do you think this could allow the pedal to go to the floor with very little effort? It seems like there would still be some residual brake available? I don't know but it's not a bad thing to pull off the calipers and see what's going on. I'll check runout as well. Thanks again.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did the dash light up like a Christmas tree?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Randy7633

Randy7633 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Did it ever! A row of yellow brake failure lights came on. Including the red e-brake light.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, brake maintenance is my pet peeve. But I agree: sounds more like electronics at play in your case. I've had the brakes go into a sort of fail-safe mode, still working, but takes more of a push.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need to take it to a dealer to have the trouble codes read.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What was the history of the car prior to your ownership? Any accidents?

I would check the brake fluid level and see if it is low.

I had a Jaguar that got rear ended and was "repaired" only to have a similar occurrence to what you describe. When the rear brakes were put back together, the brake line was rubbing on the rotor and it eventually failed, putting the brake pedal to the floor:mad:.

Definitely worth looking at all corners and under the hood at the fluid level.

Keep us posted(y)

11. Randy7633

Randy7633 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Okay, I'll probably take a look around when the snow melts a little. The car has a checkered history and I all I really know is that it is not salvage or stolen. I bought it super cheap due to high mileage and some moderate hail damage. It's not pretty but it drove great for 11 months. I should have taken it in for an inspection a long time ago. If there's nothing glaringly obvious I'll probably take it to a dealer. If anyone has any further ideas, Brake Booster? let me know.

Thanks,
    Randy

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Brake booster is expensive I've heard, hopefully not.

13. Petridish38

Petridish38 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    In my experience with non-hybrid braking systems, a symptom of a failed brake booster is a pedal that is very difficult to depress with very little braking effect. Conversely, a pedal that goes to the floor with very little braking effect indicates a loss of hydraulic pressure (brake fluid leak or empty brake fluid reservoir). Of course, I have less experience working on hybrid braking systems, but the friction brakes on the Prius c still operate as a hydraulic braking system and to me it sounds like a loss of hydraulic pressure. I am interested to see what you discover.

14. Randy7633

Randy7633 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I haven't had a chance to see what's up with the car yet but I'll post back here when I do.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  16. CSuirp

CSuirp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hi folks. Instead of creating a new thread, I figured to just mention my situation here. I have a 2014 Prius C, 3, 55k. Was driving in snowy/semi-sleet weather recently and was coming downhill to a light. I applied the brakes but I didn't feel what I normally feel when I apply the brakes, which would be a stopping feeling o_O. It felt like nothing was really happening when I applied the brakes but the brake pedal still gave the same normal resistance as usual. I heard no (normal) mechanism that begins to engage the brakes when gently push the pedal down...which is then followed by (what I think is) the actual brakes contacting when coming closer to a full stop. It was just silent and I wasn't really sure if the car was actually going to stop (light turned green and I made my turn before coming to a stop). Car didn't pull left or right, no Christmas lights on dashboard going off. Just an eerie silent attempt to stop the car. I tested the brakes right after and they seemed to be working (please no spanking comments about why I kept going with possible brake issues, lol). My thought is that something may have gotten frozen, which is horrible if that's the case. Has anyone driven in snowy weather and had an issue like this where something may have actually froze up while braking...maybe caliper...do not know. I've had my brakes inspected last oil change (about 5k miles ago) and Toy said all is good. I plan on bringing the car back to have them check all the brake parts and inspect again, but wanted to ask you guys first for insight.
    Thanks in advance for your help!

17. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Honestly it sounds like you needed more stop than was actually available between your tires and the ice.

18. CSuirp

CSuirp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Lead. I wish that was all it was...but I'm just not sure with this wind-up toy. Thanks though for your thoughts and feedback.

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Has anybody heard from the OP again? I think I missed this thread the first time. Not sure if CSuirp's issue is really the same.

Floored-pedal-no-stoppie is a rare, worst-case brake failure mode, and it's worth remembering how many kinds of brake problem there are that don't cause it. Pads, for example, can be worn all the way to the metal and still (poorly, with dreadful scraping noises) slow down the car. Loss of power assist will make the pedal really hard to depress, but standing on it will slow the car down, and it won't hit the floor.

I've been spinning some theories about what kinds of things really could cause FPNS in a Prius, but nothing I'm really sure of yet. I am not surprised that OP got lots of warning lights when it happened, but one thing I would be very interested in learning would be whether there was any history of disregarded warning lights in the weeks or months leading up to the incident, or any peculiar squishy, squirty, barky, or honky brake sounds.

Mendel Leisk and fuzzy1 like this.
  20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What tires (presuming they are not the factory tires), and how many miles on those tires?

Also, what state or region are you driving in?