1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius C engine runs continuously without charging batteries

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by Joe McMann, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Joe McMann

Joe McMann Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    About 2 days ago, I noticed that my 2014 Prius C (with about 42,000 miles) keeps the engine running even though the batteries are charged (no indicator arrow that engine is running). I have replaced the 12v battery about 2 months ago; I live in the Houston area (hot), and the rear footwell vent (driver's side) is not blocked. My mileage has been going down lately (from about 52 mpg to 45-49), but I didn't notice the continuous running until a couple of days ago. What gives?

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The vent cover is one thing, the fan is another. Have you popped off the panel to clean the fan itself? A hot battery can give you those symptoms.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how hot is it? what was last summer like, no odd behavior? how many miles on her?

lower mpg's are certainly to be expected

4. Joe McMann

Joe McMann Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I had little hope that this was the problem. There was nothing blocking the vent, BUT when I pulled the vent panel, I found that the filter pad was completely clogged. I cleaned if off, and it appears that this fixed the problem. Thanks!