1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius C One reverse camera cable knee panel

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by Tim Lillis, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Tim Lillis

Tim Lillis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i am trying to install a backup camera and need to tap the reverse trigger cable. The instructions I found in another thread for the 2012/2013 doesn't help as my knee panel connectors look completely different. How can I locate the reverse trigger cable to tap? I was hoping not to have to run yet another cable to the rear besides the video and power.

2. Tim Lillis

Tim Lillis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    No one ever responds but for future posterity I had to pull out the panel I was looking in the wrong spot (above scuff panel).

If anyone does look I got the harness that's is supposed to work for the backup camera and tapped the trigger wire, still nothing . Will try again this weekend with a multimeter to see where the voltage is failing.

djdawn likes this.
  3. djdawn

djdawn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you happen to find the reverse signal wire, please share. I tried to do the same thing some time ago, but gave up. I ended up making a switch that turned the rear camera on and off manually. Ideally I'd rather the camera be automatic.

4. Tim Lillis

Tim Lillis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I will share mine if you share yours :p So your trim is a two? Did you have anything in port 2? Also did you get the Car information working using the other thread and the 3 wires to the junction and speed locations (wondering if this is why i cant get video to kick in when i reverse)? I cannot get video to show up on my head unit to save my life. I have video when i plug into an external RCA monitor but only for a minute then it kicks off. I bought a harness on ebay that steals 12v from another part of the head unit.

I tapped it and am positive it is correct as I had a multimeter on my cable before i put it into port 2 and it was dead until i put it in reverse then it gave full 12v+.

I am thinking about ditching the harness in favor of the booster converter swhitepc uses in his guide below. But his guide shows pics of the tap and where it is. But make sure to pull off the instrument panel trim by you knee around the hood release that is where it is.

I used SwhitePC's guide to find it
    Dropbox - corolla-highlander radio backup camera.pdf

Can be found in context here Rearview Camera | Page 16 | PriusChat

PS can you explain your switch? Did you somehow setup 12v to port 2 and toggle it? Also how do you power you camera? Constant 12v? Or did you get one of the 6v cams and just use the head unit?

#4 Tim Lillis, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  5. djdawn

djdawn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Heya. My memory is all kinda of hazy since the rear view camera was the first mod I did when I got the car. I want to say that I stole 12v from the headunit, that was toggled and connected into the "reverse signal detect" input port. I just don't remember which one that is. From there, the corolla headunit would normally send 6v into the rear camera, but I wired the 6v to a relay activating 12v (12v probably also stolen from headunit) that fed into the camera in the rear. The 12v would power on the cheapo ebay camera and send the video feed into the video in into the headunit, via a RCA friendly harness I bought someplace.
    At the time since I couldn't find the reverse signal, I figured I'd emulate one and feed that into the headunit.

I want to say that I found that guide that SwhitePC put up, and tapped pin28, brown cable, but had no luck. At the time I tested it was 12v in both reverse and D. I figured I did something wrong, or it didn't apply to my '14 model and went elsewhere. The guide mentions the brown, or purple cable to tap. Which wire did you tap to successfully get the reverse signal? Is the signal you get out of there steady, or is it a pulse?
    Realistically I'd like to stick a diode on both my switch and the potential reverse signal wire to isolate both, so I can keep my camera switch that's currently in place. It's become useful for turning on the forward/rear camera for precision parking, looking to see how close that guy behind me came to hitting me, or being a snoop and reading license plates. I eventually set up the switch to allow ipod video in, but per the misses, a 2nd hand mini ipad eventually eclipsed the usefulness for the smaller headunit screen for AUX video in.

Related side project 1: Shortly after making sure the camera setup worked, I took the relayed 6v to 12v power, switched the 12v line via a SPDT ON/OFF/ON switch, and used that as a selector for powering the rear camera, or forward camera. The camera video feeds go into the headunit through a RCA Y connector. The SPDT switch could have been swapped for a DPDT for both 12v and video for a cleaner video signal, but I didn't care enough about that and DPDT switches are unusually twice as huge. Our dashboard space is already limited as it is.

Tim Lillis likes this.
  6. Tim Lillis

Tim Lillis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    The purple wire and it is steady 12v+ more like actual 13ish reading when in reverse. Dead when not. If you do pull out your HU to try this can you see if G78 port 2 is where your trigger is connected?

7. Tim Lillis

Tim Lillis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I'd like to do your project too if I can just get the basic camera working. A new harness got me closer where I can adjust brightness and contrast for camera (camera option wasn't on display menu before). But reverse won't turn on cam, in fact I've never seen the cam show up on screen yet, just my monitor. If you get ambitious can you check and see what you did for your manual trigger? I'd love just to get this to work.

8. djdawn

djdawn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't pulled out my headunit to make sure, but after reviewing the corolla notes, pin2 on the 28pin connector looks very familiar. I remember I didn't have a proper female (dupont?) connector, so I bent the cable up and around the plug like how the guide mentioned. I believe I have the appropriate dupont connector now, so hopefully I can fix it up properly. I'll realistically get a chance to get behind my dash this weekend when I test out the purple cable While I'm in there I'll take a pic of the pin and port I used, stare a bit at the manual switch so I remember what I did, grab a pic and post those up.

Could have sworn I responded a few days ago, but my post went poof o_O. Or I'm just insane..

Tim Lillis likes this.
  9. Tim Lillis

Tim Lillis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One

Do you have the Toyota nav radio or the Corolla or highlander?

10. djdawn

djdawn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have a corolla/highlander type.
    Closeup pic is this kind:
    [​IMG]

11. Tim Lillis

Tim Lillis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    It shouldn't make a difference but I am seeing most of the C1/C2 projects use the corolla. Makes me wonder if the Prius C NAV radio needs the hybrid CAN communication pins connected in 9 and 10 before the rear cam works. I might return mine for one of these, the corolla doesnt have SiriusXM or HD radio does it?

12. djdawn

djdawn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I figure at the time of those posts, there were far less salvaged nav units from wrecked Cs to use and the prices were higher. Strangest caveat with the Corolla/highlander headunit is it requires a custom dash adapter, or a modified dual din one. At the time of those posts they were able to get one made by another forum member who isn't active anymore, but I got a less fancier one from alibaba for $60.
    With my headunit, I didn't get one with Sirius or HD radio, but I assume some could exist.

13. Tim Lillis

Tim Lillis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I'm becoming more and more convinced the reverse trigger isn't pin 2 on stock radio. Beginning to think it's related to car wiring in 9 and 10 I haven't been able to find anyone who converted C1/2 stock radio to work with backup camera. Seems the ones that work are C3/4 who already have all car connections. I'm curious if I need ignition, speed, and communication connections before it will work. I got into service menu on HU and it show camera greyed out and reverse not connected

Attached Files:

14. djdawn

djdawn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Heya. About to head outside to get inside my dash. I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I remember reading someplace that when the car starts up, the headunit sends an internal "you're in reverse now" signal and checks for an incoming video signal. If a signal is received, all the camera functions will be available. If no video signal is received, then the camera adjust options will not be there.
    I confirmed this on accident one day when I started up my car and forgot I left the camera selector/power switch in the middle position, SPDT ON/OFF/ON.
    If you haven't already, I'd give the camera power, ground, and video lines a once over just in case.

Jay Morris likes this.
  15. djdawn

djdawn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Got a few pics of the back of my headunit:

[​IMG]The 28 pin plug in the top right is the one with the reverse signal in, I used a yellow cable for that. That same yellow cable is also connected to a manual switch by the handbrake, fed by 12v from the headunit. I didn't double check, but likely the big fat red cable in the middle left of the pic.
    The 16 pin plug in the top middle has video in and camera power. The top left and bottom left wires are video in and video ground, and the grey cable next to them in pin 7 is 5/6v camera power. The 5/6v feeds into a relay, that activates 12v and sends the 12v to camera.

[​IMG]Blurry blur pic of the 28 pin connector. To answer your earlier question, now that I can, I don't have anything in pin 9 or pin 10.

Tim Lillis likes this.
  16. Tim Lillis

Tim Lillis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thanks looks like I'll need to change dins to get this going. Wish I had more experience with electric. I feel like this should be possible as people with trim 3/4 have this working. Unfortunately when I tried the 9 and 10 I shorted hybrid system.

17. Tim Lillis

Tim Lillis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One

For future peeps i gave up and got the corolla HU p10313 . Works flawlessly using the reverse trigger i had wired. So either pin 2 is not the reverse trigger port or the 100023 radio gets its reverse signal from somewhere else. Same behavior using a lab setup and in the car, corolla worked prius c radio did not. This baby is going on ebay again :) Sad because i loved the stock look

18. Kentuha.Belarus

Kentuha.Belarus New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey. help please connect the camera. I have a standard Prius ะก music player. tell me where to connect the reverse wire and where to connect the video signal?

19. Kentuha.Belarus

Kentuha.Belarus New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A