1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius for 7k?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Goodsteward, Aug 23, 2018.

1. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    New Toyota Battery...12VDC or HV? If I may, why would you be looking for a "very used" Prius for cheap? For that kind of money you could get a "much less used" Corolla that would last longer. For the relative mileage difference with either the differential fuel cost would be negligible.

2. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh, I see. It was probably the 12v battery that was replaced, not the hybrid.

If that's the case, then the car is priced at KBB fair value. But if it has the original hybrid battery, then it's 10 years old. Personally, I'd pass unless you really like the Gen2 and have a reserve fund for maintenance.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's up to you. The shotgun blast of choices you are accumulating, can become overwhelming. Quite frankly in the age and price range you seem to be aiming, no choice is going to be risk free. You have to check A choice out, and see how you feel about it in person. Sometimes candidates can be easily removed from the running, once you actually see them.
    All the usual used car recommendations apply. That is do as much homework as you can, and as much inspection as possible.

You also kind of have to make a decision about your personal buying approach here. $3,200, $4,700, $7000....is actually a wide spread range.
    But it's up to you how "little" you want to invest, how much you may be willing to invest. And whether you want a cheaper buy in...but older model, or a more expensive buy in, but younger vehicle chronologically.

I always recommend to anyone buying a used Prius in the decade or older range....that they buy with the expectation regardless of what they have been told, that the Hybrid Battery could fail. That's just insulation from one of the "worst case" scenarios after purchase.
    I think I'd want to perhaps go cheaper with buy in....but have the money put aside to replace the battery, than pay more for a vehicle still at risk for battery failure, and then NOT have the money to handle a Hybrid Battery replacement. But that's just me, and depends on how much you "trust" the battery reportedly in the vehicle, and how much you want to roll the dice.

Good Luck.

MelonPrius likes this.