1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius Four JBL No sound or volume control

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Joshua Alvarez, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Joshua Alvarez

Joshua Alvarez New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So I have a 2014 Prius 4 with the JBL sound system and navigation. i recently had my driver door and rear driver side door replaced. about 2 weeks after the sound from my speakers died mid drive. whenever i turn on my car i hear a sound almost like a click or a thud from my rear driver side door. all functions of the head unit work except volume. neither the volume knob on the head unit itself nor the volume buttons on the steering wheel work. i can still connect devices through Bluetooth and the steering wheel controls to change audio modes also works. i can switch between stations on AM and FM but there is no sound coming from any speakers ever. any ideas?

Alex Kkk likes this.
  2. froyd777

froyd777 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    hello I have same problem and still can not find the solution. toyota self diagnostic resultat is :
    DSP-AMP B15C3. I desconnected speackers one by one (I thought thare was short or bad speacker) but no luck
    did you found the solution?

Alex Kkk likes this.
  3. Alex Kkk

Alex Kkk New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2012 Prius five with the JBL sound system and the same thing happened to me. It happened when I turned up the volume all the way up and the sound suddenly stopped. There is no volume control since then. I also had a problem with the apps - I was getting a "System not installed" message when I pushed the app button and the system was restarting randomly, but that was a problem from before the sound disappeared. The dealership checked the car and told me the problem was from the Harman extension box and replacing it should bring back the sound. I bought a used one from eBay for $125 replaced it myself (because the dealership asked for almost $1000 to replace it) and the apps and restarting problem was fixed, but the volume control is still missing, and there is no sound. The dealership also told me that the Amp is fine, so I'm not sure if I should be looking at it, even though I don't know if they really checked it. I wonder if there is a way to test it myself.
    It looks like this is a problem. that many people could have and getting a solution for it would be great. I hope someone experienced joins the conversation and offers advice.
    Cheers!

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Many? This is the first post of this issue I’ve seen. Not a lot here turns their volume to max. I do turn mine up to 64 though.

5. Alex Kkk

Alex Kkk New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So that makes it a unique problem. Hopefully, someone knowledgable gets interested in it and tries to offer a bit of advice on solving it. If I get it fixed, I'm limiting myself to volume 69. Promise!