1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius Import from US into Canada

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kittyo9, Sep 25, 2018.

1. kittyo9

kittyo9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Been a long time since I was on the forums. :) Had my 2014 Prius Two for about 4 years now and I've been very satisfied with it all around. It's about time for new tires, actually.

Anyway, I've come to a point in my life where I've had to make a decision; long story short, I recently obtained my Canadian permanent residence and will be moving to Canada (Ontario) from the US in 2019. However, I still need to go through the import process to bring my car along, so I figured I'd ask:

Has anyone recently imported a Prius to Canada? Most of the threads I can find are from nearly a decade ago. I have the RIV as a current information source but I'd appreciate tips from those who have gone through it.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    trading trump for trudeau?:cool:

3. kittyo9

kittyo9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe a little bit. ;) "If things go south, we can always go north..."

Haha but really, my SO lives in Ontario and we decided that it would be better for me to move up there than for him to move down here. He doesn't have a car, and I don't have to pay taxes to import my car as a new immigrant, so I really want to take mine with me.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe our moderator from the north @Tideland Prius can point you in the right direction, idk. all the best, eh?:p

kittyo9 likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A decade ago is when the USD and CAD were at parity, hence the large amount of chatter on importing US vehicles.

RIV is definitely your best bet

Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Importing a Vehicle

Basic stuff includes ensuring you have DRLs installed and cannot be defeated. I don't know if French stickers are required (or at least a sticker saying French language is available).

Other stuff includes ensuring you have the right documents when you cross the border.

Also, for Ontario-specific information:

kittyo9 and bisco like this.
  6. kittyo9

kittyo9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you! Yes, I've been through the RIV site and gone through the list of possible modifications that I might need. I believe my car currently meets Canadian standards (already has DRL, button to switch to km/h and electronic immobilization afaik), I might just need a sticker that specifies that my odometer is in miles. I didn't see anything referring to French (yet, haha).

The documents are a big one and I'm working on getting the remaining balance of the car paid off so I can get the title in hand. Some people have mentioned using brokers in the past for certain parts of the import/export process-- any thoughts with regard to that?

At the end of your post you mentioned Ontario-specific information, but I don't see anything afterwards-- was there a link you meant to post?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh I like that, lol.

There's a phenomena in BC, maybe the last 5 years: you see a LOT of vehicles, with BC plates, and NO lights. Seems like enforcement of import regs is slacking off. Or changed??

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whoops. Yes I meant to add a link.
    I’ll post it again.

Ontario.ca and click driving + roads and go into vehicle registration.

Edit: Oh that’s interesting. It doesnt link.
    Edit2: ok I’ll just give you the name of the website lol

I haven’t used brokers before but I can see how they can help with the process. It’s basically like having a realtor with you vs. seeing the open houses and purchasing on your own.

If you want to go that route, ask family and friends for recommendations on brokerage firms.

It’s likely that they took it out or turned it off after they’ve passed inspection. Or they’re Canadian spec cars but the owners modded them to remove it.

I’m not sure how much money they think they’re saving. I still have my original high beam bulbs even though they’ve been used as DRLs for over 9 years. (So bulb cost is a non issue). Also in a sea of lights, your car without one is invisible.

#8 Tideland Prius, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. kittyo9

kittyo9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guess it's been a while since I made this post! I moved to Canada almost a year ago to date and imported my 2014 Prius without a single modification. Can't tell if I got lucky or that's how it was supposed to be, but I'm not complaining. :) A truck or plow (wasn't there when it happened) dented my driver's side door over the winter (grrr) but overall the car has been happy and healthy in our new home.

10. varun singh

varun singh Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the update, I am in same boat as well, waiting for things to subside before over to North :)

Mine is 2010 model, I believe RIV read it needs DRL, I called up a Canadian Toyota dealer and was quoted upto 500CAD, well will do there after moving.

Oh, mine is also same color as yours :) (blue ribbon)

Did you use any brokers or just by yourself, I see it's quite involving getting exported from US and to Canada.

Mine is already at 141K miles, having mild second thoughts, worried may have to pay duty if I were to change the vehicle as the new one may not qualify(not present if goods to follow list)

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you leave the headlight switch set to the DRL position and unintentionally trick an inspector? Or did one get tricked by the mere presence of LED DRLs, separate from the headlights?

12. kittyo9

kittyo9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here I am a year and a half later, realizing that I never checked back in to see if anyone else had commented on this post. Oops.
    Technically mine is Nautical Blue, not Blue Ribbon! Just slightly darker.

I used a broker just for the AES portion. Simplified Trade Solutions. Everything else I did myself.

That sounds like the right quote, unfortunately. A relatively small price to pay IMO, but having an older vehicle may skew that. Lots of people just buy a new car when they get to Canada (if they have the funds).
    Probably! I likely left them set to DRL, and perhaps that was enough. I do remember the inspector saying something about the DRLs, but he didn't make a comment about it on the sheet, so I wonder if he didn't realize that it was his job and not the RIV's.

I always have my DRL on at minimum, but it's a little annoying that they make such a big deal about imported vehicles having "always-on" DRL when there are still SO. MANY. PEOPLE. who drive around without any lights on at all here!

bisco likes this.