1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 prius intermittent ac issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Matt02841, May 31, 2021.

1. Matt02841

Matt02841 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I drive about 300 miles per day in this car with many short stops along the way. I typically keep the car running all day so my AC with not blow hot. I have 196,000 miles on this car, summer time is here. When the temp hits 95 or more the ac stops blowing cold after it has been sitting for 5 minutes after running. Unless it has been running non stop from morning. If I shut the car off for more than 5 minutes after running, get back in and start it up, the AC does not get cold. It seems to be fine in the mornings and after the sun goes down. No, lights or codes, everything seems to be working fine other than that. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello and welcome to Priuschat! My first GUESS based on your description is that something (likely the inverter) gets too hot when it "heat soaks" after shutdown. You would need a scantool or OBD2 device and app to communicate with the electronic control modules on the car to get any codes and data needed to figure this out.

Many here get a "mini VCI cable" along with a (pirated) copy of Techstream from ebay or amazon and install it on an old windows laptop. This is a version of the dealer dignostic software and lets you interact with most all modules on the Prius- such as the hybrid control and the A/C system.

Another option is to get the Android only app "Hybrid Assistant" and a compatible OBD2 Bluetooth adapter- while not as capable as Techstream it does give you lots of useful data from the engine and hybrid systems.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Gas recharge issue ?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just curious: “phx” is Phoenix, Arizona?