1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius Mech advice? Bought Used noticing 2 strange things?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by maestroca, May 2, 2023.

Tags:
  1. maestroca

maestroca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, so I had a 2014 Prius with 90k miles on it. got hit by an 18-wheeler and they totaled the car. I loved that car. :(

anyway, I found a 2014 just like my old one with 55k miles on it at a dealership. I took it for a spin. It runs great in the city... I had two shade tree guys take it out, look under the hood and they say it's in great shape. I bought it.

Its been great BUT... here's my weird thing I'm noticing that's different from my last one... when getting on the freeway, the engine ROARS a lot louder as it climbs to 50-80mph. like it's working harder than it should.

Also, another weird thing... I can really feel the engine working in the vibration on the floor board under my pedal feet -- it's strange. I dont recall that in my old prius.

so am I crazy, and being too fussy? maybe its just the FEEL of a different car? and dont worry?

I ask because I want to do some long haul drives +400 miles, and just want to be sure it's ok. I may take it to the Toyota dealership tomorrow for one last look to be safe?

thank you for your advice!!

2. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hybridpit - 7314 Melrose St, Buena Park, CA 90621
    (855) 492-4440
    Make the appointment, they will check your car and tell you if you have any problems. Don't want to speak for them, but they always tell you what the problem is so you can budget accordingly.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hard to diagnose over the internet, since prius engines do roar on hard acceleration and some vibration is not uncommon

4. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does the engine have to spin faster than your old one did to deliver the same acceleration? If not, the louder sound and increased vibration might be not in the engine, but in the engine mounts or exhaust system

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No personal experience, but could it be wheel bearing? Or wheel misalignment?(n)