1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 prius Moving USB port

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by yoyoman, Nov 25, 2013.

1. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have a USB port in the center console and need to move it out to new location under the shift gear (heater seat switch location). Has anyone done this before?

Turn off signatures in Tapatalk Tapatalk

2. Zeus661

Zeus661 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What about plugging an extension cable into the port and mounting the other end wherever you want? Check some marine supply websites, I think they sell them for boats.

3. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks. This is what I have done. I think the result is pretty good and I will leave as is.

4. cliffy1203

cliffy1203 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yoyoman, can you post a picture of how you did this and what it looks like now? I hate the location of my USB port (in the center console, almost impossible to change while driving), and I would love to re-mount it somewhere else.

I've been thinking about just ordering an angled 10" USB extension cable and just letting it dangle out the small opening that is present when the center console lid is closed, but I haven't gotten around to doing that yet. But I'd prefer to actually have the USB port mounted somewhere and have it look professional.

I saw some cables on NewEgg.com and amazon.com and they were only a couple of bucks each.

5. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is what I have done. Refer to my pictures below.

1. Remove the cup holder in the center console.
    [​IMG]
    2. Use a dremal tool and cut a small section to allow wire to go thru. Re-install the cup holder.
    [​IMG]
    3. Drill a small hole just enough to feed my iPhone connector going thru the hole.
    [​IMG]
    4. My iPhone cable is long enough to reach the dashboard so I put a piece of Velcro to hold my iPhone next to the prius screen.
    [​IMG]

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!(y)