1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius PHV Rear stop lamps always on

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Gordon Wong, Jan 4, 2023.

1. Gordon Wong

Gordon Wong New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Stop lights (AKA rear brake lights) won't turn off even after turning off the ignition.
    Here's what I've tried so far.

Stop Fuse: I removed fuse 19 (labeled STOP) and the stop lights turned off. I then replaced the fuse and the lights turned back on.
    Stop Lamp Switch: I looked at my stop lamp switch and the adjustment looks good. The switch button is fully pushed in when there is no load on the brake pedal. Pressing on the brake pedal, the button on the switch fully extends (AKA Open Position). This switch changed from a 4-pin to a 5-pin unit for the 2012-2015 Prius. Part #: 84340-59645. Disconnecting this switch from its wired connector allowed the rear stop lamps to turn off. I attempted continuity tests on the removed switch but could get any continuity on any of the pins with the button pressed in or out. Maybe this switch needs power to test it. Is there a test procedure to check if the 2012-2015 switch is fully working?
    Car Starts normally: The car starts with the Stop Lamp Switch in place and my foot on the brake pedal. As a test, I removed the stop lamp switch from its holder but left the wiring attached. This allowed the switch button to stay extended. Car wouldn't start as it didn't recognize that the brake pedal is being pressed down.
    Stop Lamp Relay: I can't find this. Found a diagram (see attached) that shows that it should be to the left (or closer to the fender) of the interior fuse box. I couldn't find this. Can anyone confirm this is the correct location of the relay? Do I need to remove the fuse box to get to the relay?
    Disconnect Auxillary battery: Tried to reset the car's ECU by disconnecting the battery for 1 minute and then reconnecting it. No change. Taillights are still always on.

prius_gen_3_fuse_relay_location.jpg

2. Gordon Wong

Gordon Wong New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My local Toyota parts department wasn't able to find the location for a stop lamp relay. They seemed to think that there is no stop lamp relay on the 2014 model. I purchased just a new "Stop Light Switch" (Part #: 84340-59645). Installing this part fixed my issue and my brake lights are no longer staying on and only illuminate when the brake pedal is pressed. Hope this helps someone else in the future.