1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius Three or Four?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by retsreg, May 22, 2014.

1. retsreg

retsreg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking to buy a 2014 Prius and am deciding between the Three or the Four.

As far as I can tell, the Four has SofTex seats and a better sound system (I'm not planning on springing for the solar package). Is it worth the extra cost versus the Three?

2. priusdonkey

priusdonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i didn't think so. then again i am only keeping the car 2-3 years. i was primarily concerned with rear view camera and nav system. i believe you get an upgraded NAV with that package. You might look at the EV Plug in model, they already have some of the upgrades on the base model if you are getting the four. Might be a good alternative?

i wasn't sure if i would like the car. After 10,000 miles and three month later, the car is dependable and get 50+mpg what's not to like about it.

3. situationalawareness

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I just went with the persona series that had the softex seating, better stereo system, nav, 17 inch wheels with mag rims, and I'm happy. It's all depending on you, since ultimately you're the one you're buying it for. There is no universal worth it or not worth it.

hybridbear likes this.
  4. Kurt Weiske

Kurt Weiske Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I didn't want Softex - didn't want to pay the big premium for pleather seats. On my '14 PiP, the advanced kit with the JBL stereo and pleather was something like $4000.

I'm in contact with a local interior guy who's quoted me $1695 to do all the seats, center console and door panels in real leather.

5. Kurt Weiske

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ...and he made it clear there "might be some specials" coming up. :)

6. priusdonkey

priusdonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    At the end of the day you are approaching the cost of a Lexus CT200h. i would rather spend a few more thousand and get a better appointed Lexus with a higher resale value. I am banking my savings by not doing the PIP and package 4 on the next Prius which i will probably buy in 2015 as a 2016 model. I would rather keep the resale value lower to attract more buyers. my turnaround on the prius is 3 years maximum. I just spent $300 on ceramic tint, so that is it for upgrades, unless i do a cheap stereo for under $1k.

My $.02 is if you are leasing or buying on time then just get the package 4, you already sold yourself on it. If you are paying cash, then save you dough....

7. princessprius

princessprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As somebody who has owned both, I highly recommend the model 4.

I owned a 2010, model III (3) and really liked it a lot, but found the driver's seat uncomfortable.

Traded it in for a new model 4 recently and could not be happier.

The combination of electric seat control (which gives you more options than manual) and softex, makes it soooo comfy.

As for the person who posted that it cost as much as a Lexus, I disagree, maybe he is thinking of model 5, or adding the sunroof. I got a base model 4 and the price was reasonable.

Whichever one you choose will be dependable and get great mileage.

:)

8. haole man

haole man Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should buy what YOU want, not what other people tell you that you want. We all have different wants/needs.

situationalawareness likes this.
  9. randommonks

randommonks Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

At MSRP, the 4 I have (no solar panels or moonroof) would have cost about $5k less than the CT200h in my area but also at the cost of about 10 mpg.

I like the feel of the Softex seats and the lumbar support is a very nice touch. I would recommend you go drive and sit in a 3 and then a 4 and play around with the touchscreens to see which one you like more. You might not need the bigger screen and you might not even like the feel of the fake leather.

10. Kurt Weiske

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    princessprius, for the first week that I had my 2014 PiP, I had a lower backache that I thought was due to a lack of lumbar support in the manual seats. My 2002 Camry had leather seats with nice lumbar support. After a couple of days of getting used to it, the Prius seats are comfortable now.

11. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Prius 4 came with a nice adjustable lumbar support in the driver's seat. Leather too, not just SofTex. We find it a very comfortable place for long distance driving. Definitely go for the audio upgrade if you're gonna spend significant time driving this car.

Dtronic likes this.
  12. princessprius

princessprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I spent 4 years trying to get used to it.
    The model four has been great from day one.

I may be more sensitive than some, after all, I ~am~ a Princess. ;)
    But I am far from the only one, there is a thread somewhere about this issue.

I'm glad it works for you.

13. priusdonkey

priusdonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree the seats on the model 3 are junk, they just don't fit, my torso it is just plain uncomfortable. When i scoot up the seat 1-2" it feels better... I also agree about the stereo. Not sure of the SQ of the four but i understand it is an upgraded head unit and speakers? My pkg 3 is marginally good...

I am intending to uprgade to the newer model in 2015 - that will be a Gen 4 prius on a new platform, engine, battery, etc... I was more interested in saving money since i paid cash for the car. And i would take the extra money and put it into the newer car. That's an upgrade. The other stuff you are talking about is all cosmetic.

Anyhow paid cash for the Prius. No Payments. Hooray. I HATE car payments.
    if you are going to pay over time and keep the car longer then 3 years, i would spend the extra money for the pkg 4..