1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius totalled after low speed collision

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by HokieMattJ, Dec 30, 2021.

1. HokieMattJ

HokieMattJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So my dad had a run in with a light pole in a parking lot and managed to do some fairly severe damage - I was estimating roughly $5k worth but the initial estimate came back at $11k and was revised to $14k, so the insurance company it totaling it. Does this look like $14k in damage? Holy cow! I think he's likely to replace it with either a new Prius or Corolla hybrid.

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well you have the option to buy the car back from the insurance company. I think a shop can fix that for about $5000 or less. You just have to cut the front "apron" piece off from another donor car and weld it back on. That's the piece that will allow you to secure the fender and headlights again.

I think part of the reason it's estimated at $14000 damage, you probably have some suspension damage as well. But that shouldn't be really expensive if you get parts from a wrecking yard to fix it. The parts you'll most likely need will be struts, axle, spindle, lower control arm, etc.

3. Storm88000

Storm88000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The entire front of the car, including the motor and trans, and every single wire and piece under the hood, axles, ball joints, knuckles, headlight, corners, fender linings, brakes, suspension, bumper, bumper cover, bumper support, fender, possibly the B pillar and roof, dozens of plastic push pins, wheel(s) need to be replaced. It’s easily $14k in this day and and economy. Plus it would be a salvaged title if it were fixed. Sorry

4. HokieMattJ

HokieMattJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, bummer. Clean 2014, had I think just under 100k miles. Probably would've been a 200k mile car easily. It's crazy how easily modern cars are totaled though. Ah well, I think he's probably going to look at the new Prius, Corolla Hybrid, and Honda Insight.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you get an itemized estimate you could post here?

6. Storm88000

Storm88000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I'm sure it would just be the usual listing of replacement parts and their price, and then some ridiculous cost for labor which would account for probably half the $14k or more.. but I'd like to see it out of curiousity if OP wants to post it. I know the headlights on the 2017+ Prime are around $1,300 each new, thats one of the reasons I drive very carefully! I'm sure a new one from Toyota for OP's is still well over $400..

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also maybe it's beneficial to total a car now vs waiting for parts to get it repaired. Paying for the rental car for months and months would not be in the interest of the insurance company

8. Storm88000

Storm88000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    In all fairness ^^ not much else but collecting your hard earned money & coming up with annoying jingles and mascots is "in the interest" of the insurance company, LOL. Think about it, its one of the most ridiculous things ever - you pay a company to do nothing, then if something happens you have to pay them even more. And a lot of people drive around with out it anyway, usually because they can't afford it, and those are the ones who need it most because they are driving an old car rusted out on a spare tire with a broken axle. And if YOU get hit by THEM and they take off, and you don't pay your ins company enough, they say "sorry too bad. You should have paid that extra $8.04 a month for uninsured motorists! HAHHA!!"

bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    used car prices have greatly escalated in covid, make sure he gets a fair price. replacement won't be cheap, new or used

10. HokieMattJ

HokieMattJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, not great timing, given the state of the market. I think it was valued at only 13,200. And I don't think he got an itemized estimate, just a total figure and the insurance company's decision to total it.

bisco likes this.
  11. HokieMattJ

HokieMattJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wish he had been driving my oil burning 2007 Subaru Legacy with 170k miles, a rotted out exhaust, shot control arms, and a second set of blown head gaskets!

12. HokieMattJ

HokieMattJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So my folks have had a heck of a time finding a replacement, but my dad found a dealer willing to sell a Corolla Hybrid at MSRP, though he had to travel a bit to do so. Only problem is it's a couple of month wait to order one. But he's got a deposit down on one so hopefully it works out. So, farewell Prius but the Corolla hybrid is basically a Prius underneath after all!

bisco likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they are getting very high ratings, i'm sure they'll love it.

HokieMattJ likes this.
  14. HokieMattJ

HokieMattJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My folks finally took delivery of their new ride!

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gorgeous, all the best to them!(y)

HokieMattJ likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I can smell the new car smell. :)

HokieMattJ likes this.
  17. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    so... ill say this.. you are lucky... and no.. not $14k IMO

here is mine after the accident.. the winch mount and the engine splash shield provided good structural support and protection that the minimal extensive damage was done, Im doing the repair myself... you are lucky as you didn't damage your fuse box it looks like...

Screenshot 2023-03-15 121014.png