1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius Two : Engine braking?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by everking, Apr 7, 2014.

1. everking

everking New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I almost feel like when I release the gas, the Prius is doing some engine braking. Decelerates too quickly (1 mph per second) when driving at around 65 mph.

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not engine braking. It's doing electronic braking using the regeneration feature of the transmission.

Toyota programmed it into the car, just like the "creep" at a full stop, so the car would feel like a "normal" car.

If you apply a little pressure on the "gas" peddle you can cancel the regen.

everking likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! xpcman has you covered, and the great thing about regeneration is, it's capturing energy that would be lost by a non hybrid vehicle. one big reason why your mpg's are so fabulous! spend some time around here and you'll learn a lot about these unique and wonderful vehicles. all the best!(y)

everking likes this.
  4. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    everking likes this.
  5. Seanzky

Seanzky Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Is it possible you left it in "B" rather than shifting back to "D"? I use "B" a lot when slowing down and only using my brakes when I know "B" won't slow me down to a stop in enough time. But as soon as I come to a full stop, I make sure I'm back in "D" or else acceleration is much slower and whenever I lift my foot off the gas, engine braking takes place.

I'm also very new to the Prius (only a 5-day old owner) and these are just my observations.

6. everking

everking New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope. B is very specific to engine braking. You use it on down-hill path to give you extra engine braking. I originally thought that "B" was for "battery" (turned out to be "braking") -- actually thought that I was saving gas on this mode but it's the opposite.

Thank you! This is the information I needed! It looks like I still have to press the gas very gently to prevent electronic braking. I had been struggling keeping my speed to 65mph on the highway. This explains it. I'll try it out today!

Thanks pmike!

Very helpful. I believe I read that somewhere as well but I didn't know exactly know what it meant until your post and xpcman's.