1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius V Hybrid battery fan cleaning

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Uberfast, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Uberfast

Uberfast Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Good day to everyone.
    I would like to explain how to clean the battery fan housing.

Tools needed. Small pliers. 10mm ratchet and extension. Small flat-head screwdriver. Small vacuum brush. Windex. Vacuum cleaner.

You will need to take out the back panel, trunk. You will see now the white fan on the passenger side right hand side.

There is a large panel that needs to be taken off with 10. mm bolt. This bolt is behind the larger passenger rear seat. This boat is located on the side panel. Once a Bolt is removed you can lift up on this panel that is covering the battery in the fan.
    This panel is long has carpet on top. The panel is covering the battery and the fan period is in between both side panels on the car. One side of the panel is open facing you towards the trunk. If you're in the back seat area in between the trunk in the backseat the panel slopes downward and is plastic towards the engine.
    There are tabs. These tabs pull out as you pull up.

Next is taking out the vent that goes under the rear seat. This vent is connected to the white fan. Push in and pull up.

Next is taking apart the other small vent that is connected to the top of the battery. Do this by taking out the black tab. Black tab has fins on it all you have to do is slowly snug it up.

Next unclip the battery there are two clips. These are white clips that you can unclip by using a pair of small pliers. Electrical connections

To undo the fan there are 2 10 mm bolts. One 10 mm nut.

There are some harness Clips in wire harness attachments that are to the fan that need to come out. I use a small flat head screwdriver.

You can pull up in the fan and make the fan loose from the connections. Now the fan can be jostled in a way to come out from in side the car. It's not tricky it just takes some patience and you don't have to take away any side panels.

I took the fan apart there are three screws. I had to use an exacto knife or razor to cut the felt around the fan. There are two small Clips on the side panel of the van also.

To clean the fan do not use an air compressor to spin the blades. I used a vacuum brush Windex and a blow dryer. I also cleaned the vent tubes with water and Windex. Dried everything with a hair dryer.

Thank you so much I appreciate this more forum

Attached Files:

#1 Uberfast, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  2. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How many miles on your car and how dirty was the fan?

Thanks for the information.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Uberfast

Uberfast Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

100000 miles. The fan blades were dirty. There were no big particles. There wasn't any dust bunnies. The fan blades just had a little caked on them. The vents and tubing had minor residue on them.

I drive rideshare only with this car. 200 miles a day is normal. I have had probably ten thousand people in this car. Pets but not too many. I keep this car very clean. The vent that is under the seat I clean a lot with the vacuum and a wet towel and dry it off.

I was quite surprised to know that this was not as dirty as I thought.

4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I could tell by your pictures that you are very meticulous about your car.

It also helps when you live in a decent climate and not in the rust belt like where I live.

5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just wondering, Is that Astroturf carpeting aftermarket?

6. Uberfast

Uberfast Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I Drive rideshare, Astro turf in the car is aftermarket . $20 rolls from Home Depot.

Air_Boss likes this.
  7. Uberfast

Uberfast Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I live in the Bay Area yes I sh

8. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Very nice!

9. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I'm doing the fan cleaning on a recently purchased 2012 v wagon. However, I cannot seem to be able to get the vent tube out ( the tube that goes under the passenger side rear seat ). Is there a trick to this?

Thanks!

10. Uberfast

Uberfast Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. Wiggle it gently. There are no clips no screws it just plug and play

11. camp1019

camp1019 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I know I'm late to the party, but this YouTube video explains how to access the cooling fan.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    padroo likes this.
  13. PriusV17

PriusV17 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Anyone willing to check their HV battery for copper corrosion? I'm curious to see how much the V's bus bars corrode over time. I also hear that some shops nickle plate these bars to prevent future corrosion. Not sure if nickle plating reduces electrical conductivity and thus mpg.

This thread covers this topic but no one mentioned if cleaning them improves mpg.

HV battery corrosion | Page 2 | PriusChat

Take extreme care when working with HV battery.