1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius v Model Year Spec & Price Changes

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Danny, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Finally, I have some news to share regarding the 2014 Prius v. This information has been confirmed by a couple of my sources within Toyota, though Toyota has not officially announced any of this information yet.

First, price: Pricing for the 2014 model year Prius v is going up an average of $100. Destination/Handling/Processing pricing is also going up by $15 for all Toyota car models to $810.

Spec changes: All 2014 Prius v trim levels will come with DRLs. Also, the Panoramic View Moonroof that is currently only available as a part of the Advanced Technology Package on the Prius v Five will now be available as a stand-alone option on Prius v Three.

priusv-panoroof.jpg

I don't have any word on pricing for the Moonroof option, but as soon as I get word on that I'll be sure to pass it on.

Production began today, August 1.

That's it. No other changes to the Prius v for 2014. No color changes, no body changes.

In other words, grab those 2013 model year Prius v's while you can get a good deal on them.

E10, harold and cwerdna like this.
  2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    1./ Wow. Does the A/C keep up with the insolation through that panoramic roof?

2./ Perhaps they'll create a retrofit for the MIA DRLs that appear in the 2012-2013 v Owners's Manual... Unless this is yet another "if equipped" scam.

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My understanding is that the DRLs are just low-powered high beams. Not LEDs or anything like on the standard Prius.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I wish you could order the Moonroof as a standalone option on the Five as well and not have to get the AT package to get it. Makes sense, right?

5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    All you have to do is close it.

6. Ryan Bennett

Ryan Bennett Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The DRL is a good feature to have standard. I'm bummed my 2012 doesn't have it. Not that big of a deal, I drive with the lights on all of the time. Just a matter of turning the switch.
    The sunroof option is smart. I though it was really stupid to just offer it as part of the most expensive option on the 5 trims.

7. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be glad to have the DRL. Using the headlights draws too much power, IMO. With all lights on and A/C running, its more difficult to keep a charge in the battery. The DRL would eliminate that issue.

8. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, I like the LED DRLs as well, makes me glad I held off and waited for/ordered a 14' back in June. I do not know though, even if they offered the moonroof as a single option on a Five, I think I would not have gotten it. Now if radar cruise could be ordered alone, THAT I'd spring for.

Chazz8 likes this.
  9. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Can't you just get the part number 00016-47021? I'm guessing the dealer would install it as part of the deal to sell that older model.

10. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Should I take that as the A/C will not keep up with insolation through the panoramic roof?

11. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Its called a "Moon Roof". Should we assume that means its supposed to be used at night? I have no complaints about it, but I never open it in the hot sun, and it closes itself when you shut the car off. I'm not sure why it matters anyhow. Its another window.

12. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, a four-figure optional window.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

1. Here's a quote from the 2012 Prius v press release

2. Keep in mind that the Owner's Manual is used for both Canada and the USA and Canadian models are equipped with DRLs. You're not the only country that uses that manual. ;)

14. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Insolation causes energy gain due to solar transmission through the transparency.

Insulation limits energy transmission between regions at different temperatures.

In a summer/sunny/hot weather scenario, this combination actually INCREASES the load on the A/C system when the roof is "open".

15. schinia

schinia Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    they should have made improvements just above the floor, not on the roof.

16. jlaibson

jlaibson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been coveting the Prius since Gen3 came out for 2010, and the v since I first heard of it....still holding on to my '03 Subaru for now. However, the more I hear about the v, the more I question whether I'll ever want one. It's nice they kinda-sorta listened to folks who complained about limited options, but separating just the moon roof from the ATP isn't enough. With no four trim, and no ability to break any options down further (like radar cruise, HDD nav, JBLs), it's clear they're just not interested in providing consumers with what they want, as long as it's selling. I've also seen a lot of complaints about the comfort of the seats. One of my reasons for wanting a car with high mpg is for long trips (I know it's better in the city, but still good on the highway - better than our Tundra!!!). If the seats aren't comfortable, that's a nonstarter. Boo Toyota.

PS - And the DRLs are a downer. I don't want them unless I can turn them off. Have them in my Forester. Give me a switch I can leave on if I don't want to think about it, but can turn off if I want to control the lights.

17. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I sure wish DRL's were mandatory in the U.S. has the have long been in Canada and many other areas of the world including all of Europe since 2012. As I moved deeper into "geezerhood" I've noticed that the only close calls I've had when pulling out into traffic have been with cars that did not have DRL.

I'm hoping that the DRL on the 2014 Prius v will be of the LED type below the turn signals as in most other countries, but I'd be fine if they were of the high-beam type used in Canada which are no longer allowed in Europe.

For now, the Webelectric DRL kit I installed on our Prius wagon is working fine - see attached - and it cannot be turned off which is the way I want it.

Attached Files:

18. harold

harold Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm happy having bought my 2013 v Five, though I probably would have ordered the moon roof. Got the color I wanted and $4200 off sticker, no dealer fees and a great deal on my trade (better than i could have sold privately for) had me pay virtually no taxes.

19. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    DRL's are the one thing I wish I had! If it is the low power hi-beam lights, maybe Toyota could offer a conversion kit? GM did years ago when they started introducing drl's and offered to covert non-GM makes too in their ad's because they "cared" so much about safety.

20. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    AFAIK, the Canadian models with DRL use the headlights, but they also have a lot of different wiring and fuses/relays. An aftermarket kit will likely be cheaper and easier than a conversion using OEM parts. Toyota didn't just turn them off in the USA, they left out all the wiring and hardware too.