1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius V Two..tech issues on instrument cluster. TECHNICIANS need to read...

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by GoatPilot87, Jan 24, 2018.

1. GoatPilot87

GoatPilot87 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hey guys I work for a used car retailer and we've got a 14 Prius V Two. The maintenance light for the LOF stays on, will not clear. It' been diagnosed as a bad cluster, and we swapped one with another vehicle and that one would reset, as in when your going through the process it would start flashing the lines signifying it's resetting. So now we've had to send it to the dealer for a new cluster at an exorbitant cost, which is fine. The problem is they're telling us it require 4 HOURS worth of labor. We've already had the cluster in and out numerous times and it takes about 15 minutes and a few trim parts, HVAC ctrl head and it's out. The advisor will not budge because "That's what the book says". Well our issue is Toyota has screwed up. When you look up the Removal and Installation steps in Toyotas own shop manual it shows the complete dash, headliner, and all side trim needing to be removed. So they've goofed the repair instructions, and put the labor for the complete dash removal for the cluster, instead of JUST the cluster. When you click on cluster removal it hyperlinks you to a middle step in the dash removal repair instead of having it's own repair section separate from anything else but itself. Has anyone ran into that? What is TRUE labor for cluster removal and programming? This is the long (12 to 13" cluster) not the 6x6" screen. Thanks community hope you guys can help me out!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Video your removal/install, and show it to the dealership's service manager?

Our Canadian Prius doesn't even have this light, btw. Fine by me.

3. GoatPilot87

GoatPilot87 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It was actually sent to said dealer with the necessary trim removed and the cluster just sitting in the dash, and explained to them to look at it because that's all we had to remove. I'm all for besting labor times but Toyota screwed the pooch on the repair instructions and labor time.

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Repair Manual instruction for oil change is similar: it says to remove the entire engine panel (something I do like to do) AND the panel ahead of it, the one directly behind/under the painted front bumper. Which is just nuts.

I dug down to the "room temperature sensor" a month or two back, had to go through these steps:

upload_2018-1-24_10-1-17.png

The thing is right there, you'd thing you could just pop it out, but you have to tear half the dash out, due to some clips on the inside of the local panel the sensor is in. Everybody and his uncle have to come out first, as a consequence of these stupid clips.

IMG_7859.JPG

RCO likes this.
  5. GoatPilot87

GoatPilot87 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    V
    But did you actually have to strip it down that far? What's happened in our case was the repair instructions do NOT apply whatsoever. As previously stated it' got you take the entire dash out and headline. When all the steps truly are is remove hvac controls and a trim piece or two then the cluster brick has 3 or 4 screws holding it and it'l fall out. Fifteen minutes tops and it' out.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah understand. I just had my opposite experience in mind, HAD to share lol. It was due to clips on the inside of the panel the sensor was in, lapping with the next piece, and the next piece, and so on. Poor design...

They still want to charge 4 hours labour, when you've already removed it for them?

Keep all documents, go up the chain of command? Is there some local watchdog group, if all else fails?

RCO likes this.
  7. GoatPilot87

GoatPilot87 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    V
    We had put it back together with another cluster that had the chip set swapped out that runs the maintenane reminder from a good cluster from a company that refurbishes auto electronics but it didn' work the way they had said it would so it was back together and rather than burn any more time on it we sent it to the dealer back together.

8. GoatPilot87

GoatPilot87 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Does anyone here work at a Toyota dealer? I challenge you to look up the Remove and Install steps for the instrument cluster. And the labor time in your shop book.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only reason dealers ignore reality is because they can.

RCO likes this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Elektroingenieur has documentation access.