1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius v w/ 175000 miles

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jruiz, Feb 9, 2017.

1. jruiz

jruiz New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After being rear-ended by a freightliner just over three weeks ago and having my 2009 Toyota Corolla totaled, I am now looking into purchasing a used Prius. Preferably 2012 or later (would also settle for 2010+), but also below $10,000, which leaves leave me with very few low-mileage, non-salvaged options that aren't from a shady dealer or a bit beat up cosmetically on the inside and aren't lacking a bit in extra features. I've read the thread and articles on the Prii that have reached the 300,000+ mile mark and it gives me some hope. My Corolla had 156,000 miles on it before the accident and was still going strong, and from what I could tell, still had a long life ahead of it before it was cut short; so I am a believer in Toyota's vehicle reliability.

I've found myself checking into a great looking 2014 Prius "v" (lower case). Seller is asking $8800, which is below my budget. Single owner, clean title & no accidents. Sounds amazing.. The catch is that the vehicle has 175,000 miles on it. At $8,800 (potentially lower through haggling) is it worth the risk? I've checked into the car's service and maintenance history and the driver has religiously gotten his oil changed every month or 10,000 miles at Toyota dealerships. At 134,000 miles they changed their spark plugs and had their front rotors resurfaced by Toyota. At 115,000 they had their fluids replaced, and at every visit after crossing the 150k threshold they've had their battery tested. The last service update from Toyota was at around 172,000 miles where the driver "declined oil seals / gasket repair"... Should I take that as a sign to turn around and run far far away? I've read estimates of the repair being anywhere from $650 to $1600, depending on what seals or gasket need replacing, and by whom (smaller mechanic, or through Toyota itself). At 175,000 miles and only three years old, does this car have more life ahead of it or should I look elsewhere?

2. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You'll definitely need to know what gasket. A head gasket probably means a new engine. A timing cover or main seal could cost a couple thousand. I'd visit the shop that found the problem and ask them for more info.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Life of the car is not measured by age...but with mileage....so shop for low mile car..and stop worry about how old is it
    My advice

Bmr4life and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Sub $10000 Prius v's are all high miles, model year has little to do with price on the low end.

I would look for a good running specimen without head gasket or accident issues.

That said
    I find it odd that any v has head gasket problems at this point, never heard of a gen ii with a bad head gasket and honestly never heard of it on the lift back gen iiis either.

Odd in my book

5. Bluegrassman

Bluegrassman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Others may disagree with me, but my personal experience with used Toyotas:
    If properly maintained, miles seem to matter less than age. Today's modern electronics tend to fail with age.
    My last older Toyota was a '94 Camry. Only had 160k miles on it. And I could account for every single mile. Engine was great. However, power window motors, power locks, reverse lights, air bags, tape player, power antenna, etc were all failing one by one....
    But it would start up and get you where you wanted to go every single time.

Overnight Prius Addict
    2009 Prius 4 Black
    2012 Prius 4 Blizzard Pearl
    2013 Prius 4 Black

6. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been on here for a long time and I've seen much more 2010+ Prii with head gasket problems. A couple of them, actually were high mileage. But mostly 2010 liftbacks.

7. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OP will have to tell us if its a headgasket or an oil pan gasket