1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius will not start

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by a_lin, Apr 27, 2018.

1. a_lin

a_lin New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey guys,

I'm a total newbie and just got this car a week ago. Drove down for a weekend trip and haven't touched the car in 3 days. Today, I try to start it to get to dinner and it is not starting. I'm a worrywart and am now terrified that something is deathly wrong. Here's the series of events that occurred:
    - Walked up to the car, it unlocks automatically like normal when the key is near.
    - Get in, push the power button, light on the button is orange
    - Display is flashing a warning sign (triangle with !), an engine check sign, and what looks like the anti-theft sign (car with a lock)?
    - Try to turn overhead lights on and the light is very very dim (maybe a battery problem?)
    - I get out of the car and try to lock/unlock with the key fob but now there's no response
    - Car emits a low long beep (now I'm real scared)

My car hasn't been responsive since. The power button light isn't even on anymore, the display is dead. I'm really hoping I screwed up somewhere and I just have to jump start the battery. This seems like a common problem for cars but I have never dealt with it before. I've had my license for only 4 years and I've only driven a 2003 Toyota 4Runner. I havent dealt with car issues beyond motor oil changes...so I guess I'm just looking for someone with a lot more knowledge than me to tell me if any of the above points to a larger issue. I would like to jump start the car tomorrow using video tutorials. Do you guys think this is a good idea for a hybrid vehicle?

I'm sorry I'm rambling but I'm so worried I did some irreversible damage to the poor thing. Any sort of advice or insight is appreciated

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    bad 12v battery

NutzAboutBolts and danlatu like this.
  3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If purchased from dealership, some has 30 or 90 day warranty period that will repair replace at no expense, check into that first in case your owed a new 12v batt

4. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds like a dead battery to me lol

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

whoever you bought it from probably let it sit too long and let the 12 volt battery die. you can try charging it and see if it holds up, but i would ask the seller to replace it.

it is a very small battery, and doesn't do well sitting around for long periods of time.
    it also doesn't do well after being discharged, so you may need a new one.

6. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    After you buy a new 12volt battery, trickle charge it overnight to make sure it's fully charged, then trickle charge it once a month overnight to keep it topped up.
    A four year old ded 12v is not the end of the world, btw, the 12v in the prius is very weak, never leave the car in acc, google the prius 12v, bad luck for you but an easy fix, and welcome.

7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Before you leave with a new 12v batt, make sure it measures 12.6vdc or higher so you just drop it in and won't have to charge it after buying, or return it.

Raytheeagle likes this.