1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid: Real-World Fuel Economy

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by JimboPalmer, May 26, 2014.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The Lexus NX is really a tweener between the rav4 and LRXh. It gets 7 more mpg combined than the rav4 despite being heavier.
    Compare Side-by-Side
    What it can't do, becuase of aerodynamics is greatly improve on hwy mpg. The crosstrek is more aero and that is how it gets better hwy milage.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have been calling the NXh a power hybrid because it uses the larger 2.5L HSD which seems to me large for a Rav4 based hybrid, but it is 700 pounds heavier than the Rav4 with the extra length and nearly 600 more than the Avalon hybrid.

3. neez

neez Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Subaru is not really worried about marketshare. They have had steady growth since the 90's and was one of the few manufacturers to actually make profit during the great recession of 2008-2011. They are growing, and are actually worried about growing too fast as stated by the head of subaru of america.

I think they only really sell the xv crosstek because all manufacturers have to do something moving forward with meeting CAFE regulations. Electrification is the only real way to get there. Diesels are only marginally getting better in fuel efficiency. So this was GEN1 of their hybrid, which was an extremely mild hybrid. I'm sure the next gen will see much more from the electrical side, like a higher HP electric motor and battery. They aren't worried about marketshare in hybrids yet.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
  5. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  6. neez

neez Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not really sure what "subaru cool-aid" you're referring too, but subaru owners are among the most loyal. For good reason. Subaru has been using nearly the same powertrain since the 90's. They've only made small incremental changes from year to year. The head gasket problem of 98-2003 was due to switching to a composite gasket, which they switched back. I can take my engine from my 2008 and bolt it into a 1998 subaru no problem if i could get the ECU to work in it. So over the years, the reliability should be high with only chassis changes from generation to generation. In 2011 they have a totally new engine, but it's really just the old engine with redesigns to increase combustion efficiency and reduce internal friction. When you actually look at it, it's still the same. So it doesn't surprise me that it's at the top this year for reliability.

My problem with consumer reports is that they ding ford for their mytouch system. But a company like subaru is usually last to offer the latest tech. So it's better to not have the tech and have it be reliable, then it is to add the tech and have it fail???? It was the same way when i sold tv's in college. They dinged sony for designing a remote that was clutter free and easy to use, it had color coding and sized the buttons so you didn't have to look at the remote to know which button you were pressing. I sold every old person a sony tv because of the awesome remote. Yet they rate the JVC remote higher because it had all the buttons you could ever need on it. However, it was cluttered, every button was very small and overall the remote was hard to use, and the buttons were only used once or twice for the life of the tv. I pointed this out to customers who brought in the CR book and they realized the book was flawed.

Trollbait and austingreen like this.
  7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And my doubt in CR started when they rated Ol'Roy, Wal-Mart's brand, of dog food #1 and a best buy. Their study was purely base on price per pound and the percent carbs, fat, and protein. No mention of ingredients were mentioned. By that metric, I can make a #1 dog food too. Out of sawdust, motor oil , and urea.