1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Toyota Prius Hiding Spots

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Razor Rex, May 9, 2014.

1. Razor Rex

Razor Rex New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Hi everyone!

I first wanted to say I love my 2014 Prius. It's the base North American model (not the hatchback or plug in or anything fancy...) I traded in my 2009 for this new one and they are great cars!

On to the topic: I have a game with my family where we hide an item around and whomever finds it gets to choose dinner on family Sundays. (Steak for me if I find it..) Anyways, my mother said she hid it in my Prius. It's been two weeks now of her picking and I can't find it. (If you must know it's a plastic duck with a quacker in it... About as tall as a coke can and not nearly as thick.)

She is adamant it is in my car. It is not in with the spare tire. It's not in the battery compartment. She gave me the hint that there are actually TWO of these hidden spots in the car. Said it's the ultimate hiding spot in the car.

Anyone have ANY ideas where I can look?

Thank you!

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Cup holders for the rear seats built into the center armrest between the two rear seats? There are two cupholders in there... You gotta pull the armrest down from the back of the rear seats to show the armrest and cupholders in it.

do not know of another option right now off the top of my head.

Razor Rex likes this.
  3. Razor Rex

Razor Rex New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Thank you for the quick reply! I will take a look. Rear cupholders. Hmm.

Any other spots? I wouldn't put it past her to hide it inside loose panels in the trunk.

4. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've got a Prius v and a Volt right now, not a liftback so I can't check. I forget, but are there removable panels on each side of the rear trunk, left and right side? The Volt has em' on each side but I forget if the liftback Prius does, haven't had one since my 2010 PiP.

5. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    My thought was the two removable floor panels in the hatch area to the left & right of the main center panel where the spare tire is.

I also think this is a very entertaining game! My wife & I might have to do something similar.

6. Razor Rex

Razor Rex New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    I removed the trunk carpet cover, removed the cargo trey, there is nothing to the left in the compartment, and just the big battery to the right.

She even bragged about it being the ultimate hiding spot and she's not exactly tech savvy. But I'm stumped! lol

7. YOLOsoBuyaPrius

YOLOsoBuyaPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's two glove boxes and two setback pockets there is also two cup holders on the front doors. Have you looked beside the 12v battery? (the small one) Above pedals or passengers feet area?

8. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Seat back pockets are good ideas as well. I thought of the door pockets and dash glove boxes but figured he HAD to check in them, lol.

hybridbear likes this.
  9. Razor Rex

Razor Rex New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    I wish it were as easy as the seatback or the glove box! I'm fairly certain it's in the trunk. Or the backseats. The only places I haven't checked is the carpeted area between the back seat and the spare tire well (It looks like the carpet could come up, but it's got metal walls) or is there sufficient space in the side panels???

She isn't very tech savvy... I'm wondering who showed her these two spots because she is real proud of them. lol.

10. YOLOsoBuyaPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if you fold down the back seat the carpet flap is just Velcroed to the seat

11. MSA14

MSA14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you checked both of the access spaces for the rear tail lights? They are covered by a plastic cover with some small louvers - the cover snaps into the carpet opening in the trunk right behind the tail lights.

I checked the space in my 2014 Liftback and I can see how something like you describe could possibly fit in the space.

Mark

7-0-SAV likes this.
  12. YOLOsoBuyaPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the sneakiest spot to hide something! I totally forgot that those were there

13. MSA14

MSA14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

14. Razor Rex

Razor Rex New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Nice tips, everyone. I tore apart the trunk. No go on the seatbacks (She said "Too obvious!") and I checked inside the tail light compartments. Nothing.

She even taunted me this morning "I set traps up to see how close you've come and you have even moved them but still not found the duck." I did not check underneath the battery on the rear passenger side (It looks secured in) but there is one place I have not been able to really check -- In the trunk there is the cover over the cargo trey and spare tire, right? (It has two "locks" on it) Well closer to the back seats there is a cover that looks like it could come off, but try as I might it is on there good. I can see the side walls of it and it's metal... Someone said that the back of the rear seats is velcroed over, but I can separate the seats (And found my next hiding spot) but the top of that piece will not come off.

It's in the trunk or at least the rear seats. (They don't have cargo space in them, do they???)

So great ideas, it's been fun... But I don't have much time left this week. And I hate losing, especially for a third week in a row!

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The high voltage battery is under the forward section of the hatch carpeted area. It's got a lot of tenacious fasteners. You could omit half of them on reassembly and the floor would still be secure. But I don't think your mom would have pulled that off, it's not easy.

When you flip the back seatback forward, the carpeting on the back can be pulled off a Velcro strip and there's a fair space underneath I think. Not clear if you've already done that.

16. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How about the two panels on the inside of the hatch, where some people have put LED light panels from Japan?

17. Razor Rex

Razor Rex New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Never did find that darn stuffed duck. Thought I'd dig up this thread and see if anyone had any fresh ideas? I haven't taken the spare tire out, is there room or even holes to slip stuff down below it?

I've checked all the great ideas in this thread. I'm at a complete loss as to where anything can be hidden aside from maybe inside a seat?
    Ideas are appreciated! Thanks for all the replies anyhow :)

18. YOLOsoBuyaPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hatch inside handles? There are two of those

iPhone ?

19. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is there room or even holes to slip stuff down below it? Yes!

20. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you looked in the two access panels for the struts in the rear end? The two plastic square pieces next to the silver hoops towards the back of the rear seats? There are two of those.

[​IMG]

retired4999 likes this.