1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015-16 Flu shot

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Oct 6, 2015.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not that i have heard of. there is a series of hep shots for teenagers, iirc. not sure which ones.

a lot of it is for drug users and sexually active people, people who work around hep b patients, and etc.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just saw a tv ad for high dose flu vaccine. first flu vaccine ad i've ever seen. ask your doctor if you're over 65.

3. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    In the U.S. it is one of the core vaccines given to infants and recommended for nearly all 18 years and younger.

For unvaccinated adults it's a bit complicated, but the following are the more common indications to recommend vaccination:

-Those at risk for blood/body fluid exposure (health care workers, public safety workers, correctional facility workers, etc.)
    -Certain chronic medical conditions:
    -HIV infection
    -Diabetics <60 years old
    -dialysis dependent patients
    -chronic liver disease​
    -Sexually active and not in a long-term monogamous relationship
    -IV drug users (recent or active)
    -recently or actively seeking or treated for STDs
    -men who have sex with men
    -sexual partners and household contacts of those with hepatitis B+
    -international travelers to endemic areas

tochatihu likes this.
  4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Thanks, my reading was much as iplug posted, and suggested that my Dr. here has an inaccurate picture of my (actually boring) personal life :)

Differently, Hep C is a pretty adept liver killer, transmitted in all the usual ways, but not yet with a 'prior' vaccine - do I have that right? The cure (as known to me) is not at all fun.

In other terms, news reports suggest that humans exist on earth to make this Planet Herpes Simplex. Perhaps it is no wonder that Space Aliens are staying away?

For old people here, would you agree that large-gauge blood-draw needles have become less painful? Thinking about laser deburring.

Robert Holt likes this.
  5. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes, no vaccine for Hep C at this time.

For Hep C, in the last couple of years we now have three new FDA approved drugs that have increased the cure rate to as much as 90%. 30 years ago this was only ~5%.

The newer agents still require weeks (but usually significantly fewer - as little as 12) of treatment, and in some cases do not require combination with interferon and ribavirin (which are the usual agents that cause malaise, aches, nausea, insomnia, etc.).

The least fun part about the newest agents is probably their cost - typically well into the tens of thousands dollars for a course of treatment in the U.S..

Robert Holt likes this.
  6. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So THAT'S why our PCP was asking me and the DW about our sex lives and whether we were monogamous, etc. I thought it odd at the time given a 47-year history, but even odder as we were both in the examining room, and if I had said anything about a "side-piece", my DW would probably have killed me on the spot, thus negating our good Doctor's best efforts.
    As an "older people", I would say that blood drawing does seem less painful, and I know for a fact that they only have to draw 1 vial now as opposed to 2 or even 3 vials in the recent past to get a full panel of test results. I asked the phlebotomist and he said that procedures had been changed to make more efficient use of the blood drawn.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you tell most doctors today that you're monogamous, there jaws hit the floor in disbelief. oh well, one more generation, and the agony should be just about over.

8. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Must be a Boston thing.

Anyway, is it just me, or unlike past years when we start getting flooded with media scare stories about this is going to be one of the worst flu seasons ever -- and then it never happens -- I have seen very little media hype about the flu or flu shots this fall.

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Fortunately, you're with Prius people who expect the price of gasoline to go up too. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson