1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 2015 Electric Drive Sales: USA & CA

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by wjtracy, Feb 19, 2016.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's my 2015 data summary for hybrid/plug-in sales:

upload_2016-2-19_20-38-48.png

• Hybrids (eg; Prius) broke 30% of sales in CA for 2015 (wow)
    • PHEV (eg; Volt) ran 64.5% of sales in CA for 2015 (wow - whadup widat?)
    • BEV's (eg; Leaf) running 48.5% of sales in CA for 2015
    • BEV/PHEV running about 47.5% in CA since 2011
    The data are from ElectricDrive.org (US) and CNCDA.org (CA)

http://www.cncda.org/CMS/Pubs/Cal%20Covering%204Q%2015.pdf

Attached Files:

Ursamajor, Sergiospl and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and now, canada is adding even more incentives.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK finally someone else is working up this data with me:

California Plug-in Sales Led The US Last Year With Nearly Five-Times Greater Market Share

A Look At California's Plug-In Electric Car Sales Compared To Rest Of U.S. - Inside EVs

To me this represents an important recognition that Plug_ins are mostly selling in California where they are mandated. The fact Plug-Ins are mandated in California, to me means the cost is probably subsidized, not only by the State and Feds, but also by the auto manufactures who need to set a sellable price to move the vehicles. Also the California single-occupant HOV incentive is probably the major factor in Plug_in sales in the whole Country.

So this is why there is some concern about growth of Plug-In's. Need to demonstrate ability to move beyond California and a few other states with big incentives.

If you look at the recent Governor's Accord on Energy, if you read between the lines, it's about 20 states pledging moral support to trying to sell the new green cars Detroit is making.

The Accord — Governors' Accord for a New Energy Future

#3 wjtracy, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    austingreen likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Another factor to consider from the mandate when looking California is there is simply a much wider selection of models for buyers. There are only 5 desirable models of plug ins that are truly available nationwide. While it doesn't actually hurt their sales, Tesla has been limited in some states due to Dealer Associations. A few, like the Focus EV, are nationwide, but with limited dealers. Then the iMiEV and smart ED have the shortest ranges, that will limit sales no matter where they are sold.

That leaves the Energis, i3, Leaf, and Volt as the only choices for the majority that live outside of of California and the few other states more plug ins might be available. Which is at ten models in California off the top of my head.

If the price isn't an obstacle, the polarizing looks of the i3 might be to potential buyers. The other four are more affordable with their own pluses and minuses. But many shoppers may not look at them simply because they are a Ford, GM, or Nissan.

Hybrid sales got a bit of a push back when the new Fords arrived, and other brands started offering their own model. This is because the people that wanted a Toyota or Honda hybrid had pretty much gotten theirs. Nationally, plug ins are at that limited selection phase. The selection is growing, but the higher car prices with lower gas prices has most manufacturers taking the slow approach to roll out.

wjtracy likes this.
  5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    High gas prices relative to the country, mild weather, bad traffic, HOV stickers, extra incentives.

I'd say in 2016 california grows hybrid percent above the 30% last year. PHEV will be high the first half of the year, but end of year the 2017 volts and redesigned i3-rex will be mainly outside of california. BEVs well with $2500 and a hov sticker the zev credits to the manufacturer, the state will dominate those sales.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the obstacle is peoples mindset. even most of those concerned with foreign oil, climate change, and etc. are dependent on government policy for their ideas and actions. until then, they're happy to drive their 15 mpg suv.

Trollbait likes this.