1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Four or 2014 Five?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by SecretAgent355, Jun 1, 2015.

1. SecretAgent355

SecretAgent355 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I love my 2010 III, not Three as it is a 2010, and my kids need a car so I'm giving them my III and looking to buy a used <20k miles 2014 Five or 2015 Four. Both are around $20k.

Any opinions about top of the line yeast old vs one step down for the current year?

Thanks!

2. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Impossible to tell without knowing which (if any) option packages are on each!

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can get a new prius for that price

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Neither One.....unless money is no object, in which case you would not be asking the question....especially if your kid is needing the car because of college.

Cash flow most or all of a new one and drive it for 10 years.

Buying an up-optioned car makes no sense because you're buying yesterday's technology at tomorrow prices.....and Priuses already have a higher buy-in cost over other eco-hatches.

Good Luck!

5. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You should teach your kids the value of a dollar and let them by their own vehicles and keep your 3. How old are your kids? We did about the same thing you're attempting to do and have regretted it ever sens

6. SecretAgent355

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Neither type has options beyond the standard config for that model year. That means the Five has LED headlights, fog lights, and 17in tires that the Four does not have. Neither appears to have the higher grade display screen.

7. SecretAgent355

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought the present one with cash and it will be driven for 10 years, assuming it lasts that long.

I disagree with the up-option comment. The car will be run for many years to come, so the best thing to do is get the highest options possible so that the car does not become technically obsolete in just a few years. Hence the option of LED headlights on the Five. By the time I replace this car, HID will be long gone and LED will be standard on every car. Also, the car is being bought used, so someone else has already paid the premium for "yesterday's technology" so that I get it at a discount.

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  8. SecretAgent355

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My kids are 16-20 and my older Prius will be shared between them. We already did the beater-car-for-the-teenager thing and it cost us huge amounts of money in repairs. I prefer to have them use a car that I know is reliable and should have many years left on it.

3bebe and PriusC_Commuter like this.
  9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well......we disagree, but if you're paying cash for new cars then who am I to give you financial advice?
    I have to drive paid-for used cars. ;)

My comment on options stands.
    A garden variety, base Prius goes for about 22 and some change...new.
    The way I see it is that you can spend about five thousand over that and get a loaded out new G3 with outdated NAV, and outdated Radio, and a few other baubles -or- you can roll the dice on a used one and let the depreciation cover the overcharge for the pleather seats, the factory nav. and a radio that doesn't suck quite as bad as the next lower unit.

You make an excellent point that an up-optioned used Prius bought with cash is still not a bad way to go at all - particularly if you're not into self-upgrading the lights, radio, seat covers, etc...

For most people?
    Factory options are a total rip.
    OEMS have a rather low profit margin for the car, but they make a killing on the options, which is why you have 'select' options that are only available on "the next higher trim level."
    Thus, you wind up paying several thou to get that one "must have" feature that's usually not worth the asking price....and four years later you're still upside down in a $20,000 eco-hatch that MSRP's from 22 to 29. That $7,000 margin doesn't buy 7K worth of hardware....IMHO.

Your Call.

Good Luck!

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    since the 14 and 15 are virtually the same, and they would have similar mileage, i would go with the high end '14. all the best!(y)

11. njmurvin

njmurvin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It depends on what you're looking for. We had a pretty fully optioned 2010-4 with solar roof and navigation. Second time around (2013) we went with the Persona which is essentially a model 3 with leatherish interior, NAV and 17" wheels. I happen to like the interior and love the wheels (handling is much more confident even with a few MPG penalty). They can keep the NAV. We use our iPhones.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Or sell it to them, for a good price.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm partial to the model with 17" rim, for its steering upgrade as much as the rim. If you're not excited about sunroofs, maybe the persona?

14. SecretAgent355

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's two votes for the 17in rims, something I had not thought about before.

Persona does not have the high-end JBL audio or heated seats. I love the JBL in my Three, and really miss the heated seats in cold winter months, so I'm looking at Four and Five.

15. SecretAgent355

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yep, I can get a base 2 for about $22k, or I can get a 2014 model 5 with 12-15k miles on it (one year of use) for $20k. And the 2015 model 4 is $23k with just a few thousand miles. So all three choices are within a couple grand of each other, and I'd much rather have heated leather seats and a high-end audio system, and maybe those LED headlights. I agree the nav is overpriced and rather useless, until my phone reaches its data limit and I need a map, or my wife does, and then it becomes very valuable.

Thanks, I do appreciate the feedback and opinions.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

We have a 2010 Canadian Touring model, has the JBL, plus LED headlights and the 17" rims, but not the sunroof. Also not the high tech stuff on US 5. They still have that model, but believe they've dropped the JBL, now. ;(

#16 Mendel Leisk, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  17. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    When I bought our 2011 five -- I did so because of the wheels and the LED headlights. I like sunroofs on cars as they allow more light into the cabin (I don't often open them) -- but the Prius design has so much glass ...this is not an issue. The five not having the sunroof was not a negative to me. The five's larger wheels and slight ratio difference is noticeable if you drive them back to back -- the fog lights are worthless (no value at all) ... but the LED's work very well -- very bright and white. Dealer had to trade cars to get me one without any additional options. In 2011 the 4 and 5 had real leather -- although it is rather plastic (its not my Jaguar's leather) the heated seats are rather crude -- they are "on" or "off" and have hot spots -- but are better then not having them on a cold day.

I got 90k out of the first set of 17" tires -- car now has 108K (three years old last January)

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I agree about fog lights, actually forgot we have them. You turn them on, on a dark road, then invariably end up turn them off and on several times, to verify something's happening, lol.

Also, I made a point to sit in front passenger seat of cars with/without sunroof. My hair was brushing the roof with sunroof, irritating. I'm 5'-11"~. Don't miss sunroof, like the the cleaner look.

But I'm being chauvinistic: lots of people love the sunroof, just not me. :)

There's a subtle difference in the difference with the 17" wheel option cars, I think: we first test drove a Canadian Technology package, 15" rims and the base steering configuration. To be fair it was the first test drive, and it was night time. But I did not feel comfortable in the car. Then we test drove, in daytime, the car we bought, Touring with the 17" rims, tighter steering ratio. I felt at home right away in that car, and I think the steering had something to do with it.

It's definitely not just the 17" rims: every winter we switch to 15" snow tires, the same same size as base Prius, but the steering/driving feel is just the same. Could be BS, was just first impressions, I'm not really sure, but...

#18 Mendel Leisk, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  19. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The only basic difference that matters is 17's vs 15's, tradeoff for better handling is slightly less mpg, if you do want the sunroof option you are stuck with the 4, having one a year newer might make a difference on the warranty ( the 10 year part), enjoy whatever you get, should run for a decade.
    I think your finances and your children's discipline is no body's business but your own.

20. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Speaking from experience as a father and son, I say get them a low end used Corolla or Civic and keep the Prius for yourself. In that age group it's not a matter of if they will wreck the car, but when. The cost savings on a lower priced reliable beater will more than make up for any difference in fuel savings. Now if you are just looking for an excuse to buy yourself a new vehicle...:whistle: