1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Frankfurt/IAA Auto Show Prius Second Showing

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by iplug, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Second Video/33 seconds.
    Gen III = 32.6 km/L
    Eco = 40 km/L
    2-WD = 37 km/L
    E-Four = 35 km/L

telmo744 and iplug like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pretty good interior rear-facing pics in post #114 of this thread (previous page).

3. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
  4. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, they were rumours without a confirmed source.

iplug likes this.
  5. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Yes. They are great to have and the exterior shot from the rear corner is also helpful. They show what's there but don't however show the view from the mirror or the typical view when looking back down the center from the drivers seat.

This coupled with Toyota's statement and the change to a 3 pillar design on each side (A, B & C) from a 5 pillar design (A1 + A2, B & C1 + C2) make me somewhat optimistic. The matched internal shots of Gen 3 and Gen 4 I saw were also helpful.

The interference to sight lines from the massive North American headrests suggests to me that some problems are likely to remain.

6. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    This does appear to confirm the E-Four option although I suppose they could choose not to market the 4wd version in the U.S.

#146 royrose, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    iplug and Sergiospl like this.
  7. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looks pretty specific to me. E-Four is Toyota marketing speak for an electric RWD add-on creating low-speed AWD, currently offered on the Alphard and Estima (JDM version of the Previa) minivans.

I gleefully renounce my earlier skepticism - looks like eAWD is coming for the Gen4 Prius, at least in some markets. I'll continue to be a wet blanket on one point, though - we've seen other eAWD systems fail to make the leap from JDM to the U.S., notably the one on Nissan's Cube, so there's no guarantee WE will be getting that nifty tech.

Trollbait and iplug like this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the rear window shots! Looks like the lower rear window is a bit taller. I can almost see the Auris in its entirety throuhg the lower rear window.

Packaging is always fun, isn't it? The Matrix had to switch from torsion beam to IRS (i think double wishbone) to fit the AWD system in. It also lost a bit of hp & tq because of the re-routing of the exhaust system.

The torsion beam is a semi-indepedent suspension and in the Prius, it has trailing arms connected by a bar that I believe doubles as a stabilizer bar. This means that a jolt from one rear wheel doesn't lift the entire rear suspension (like a solid axle) but is absorbed somewhat by the design of the trailing arm. I suppose this gives rise to the torsion bar's alternate name - twist beam axle.

The new Prius will feature a double wishbone suspension design.

E-Four is Toyota's electric AWD name in Japan. Here, the Highlander uses "4WD-i". I don't know if it's the same system with different marketing names or if they really are two types of AWD hybrid drivetrain.

Here's an example of an Estima Hybrid E-Four in "G" grade

[​IMG]

This is cool.

upload_2015-9-20_23-53-52.png

An LED strip within the instrument panel hood that changes colour depending on mode (IG-ON, or READY) and if you're in P, R, N, or D (You can see that Reverse lights it up in red)

Sergiospl likes this.
  9. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For completeness, an independent torsion beam suspension is possible. 4WD and Trailhead Rangers used it on the front. The torsion bar is mounted parallel to the truck's body, and attaches to the lower A-arm of the wheel mount. It is simply a replacement for a coil spring.

Just different names. Why re-invent the wheel for different markets?

Nifty.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  11. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  12. proprius

proprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found the (original?) images from the videos. Sorry, this is my first post, so I can't create clickable links:

ganbaremmc.exblog.jp/23686855/
    minkara.carview.co.jp/en/userid/1517008/blog/36441470/

Grus likes this.
  13. Grus

Grus Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Hello guys, just noticed a short article covered by Nikkei Automotive.
    Sorry this one is in Japanese
    http://trendy.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/news/20150917/1066391/
    The chief engineer Koji Toyoshima specifically mentioned to use the Prius as a generator.
    This was an option for Japan market since winter 2012/13, 100V/1500Watt, and not very cheap, 63k JPY for Prius and 94.5k JPY for Prius PHV.
    FYI: トヨタ、「プリウス」に給電機能を追加、非常時の予備電源に | nikkei BPnet 〈日経BPネット〉:日経BPオールジャンルまとめ読みサイト
    It was first equipped in Toyota Estima Hybrid, and functioned well during earth quake emergencies in Japan.
    I think most Viehcel-to-Home type devices just equipped with PHEVs, right?
    Don't know if this feature will avail globally this time and not expensive for Prius G4.

Oh, found it in the leaked Japanese staff manual
    seems to be a premium model standard feature

#153 Grus, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  14. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just connect my $40 (got it on sale) Wagan true-sine inverter to my Prius, and run from that. Yeah, it's only 300W, but it suffices for many things.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At current exchange rates,

¥63,000 = US$522
    ¥94,500 = US$783

Standard? wow. I doubt it'll be offered outside of Japan. In North America, portable generators tend to be diesel powered and are readily available at home improvement stores.

16. Grus

Grus Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The price tag is JPY 64.8k now, tax included, for most Prius G3 HEV models except the entry L.
    http://toyota.jp/pages/contents/prius/003_p_007/pdf/spec/prius_equipment_list_201506.pdf

Yes, I doubt it'll be offered outside of Japan too, although it seems to be a little more convenient and less nosier than a small portable generator.

I remembered when they introduced IPA into Prius G2, it definitely became a sell point and very popular in Japan.
    They tried to do that with Prius G3 in North America, then had to cancel it from MY2012 face-lift, which is still available for Japan and some other markets.

#156 Grus, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  17. civicdriver06

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

We still have IPA I our gen 3. facelift ,so why did they take it away in US facelift ?
    Toyota sure makes some strange decisions sometimes !
    Same goes for the side - mirrors .
    Am I mistaking or do US Prius 4 models once again go without indicator lights in the side rear-view mirrors ?
    On the other hand,they took away the hard - drive in the navigation system of us while you got it in the Facelift model .

#157 civicdriver06, Sep 26, 2015
  18. Grus

Grus Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I can only guess nearly nobody in the US wanted to pay for IPA pack because of different parking environment and practice methods.

#158 Grus, Sep 26, 2015
  19. civicdriver06

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well to be honest I wouldn't pay extra for it but in Germany up to now we only have 3 trim levels of the Prius .
    Prius,Prius Comfort and Prius Executive.
    Prius Executive is the fully loaded one which has nearly everything but the solar sun roof,parking sensors and seat heaters .
    These are extras .
    If you order leather seats you also get the pre collision system but not LKA because that was newer an option here for gen. 3 .

20. Grus

Grus Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    So you see the differences ...
    DRCC+PCS+LKA+HUD+ ... all belong to an optional package (IPA was included) needs extra payment and only for the top trim level Prius in the US
    And no sonar parking sensor option for US Prius G3 models
    P.S. I counted 12 sonar sensors in a Prius G4 photoed in Las Vegas reveal event.

#160 Grus, Sep 26, 2015