1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Gen 3 After Market HUD Using iPhone? App & Mounting?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Susan4ET, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It doesn't seem like having to add a reflective material to the front windshield will work well and will require more expensive hardware. If the phone's on the top of the dash I'm not really talking about a true HUD on the glass.

What about a mount to quickly secure my iPhone into on top of dash--not to window?
    With a USB cable maybe to the center console port?
    Maybe Google Maps is all I need? Or are there other apps to integrate into Google Maps too?
    Posted speed limits and traffic on display a must?
    Maybe an audio warning when entering a school zone would be nice?

In order to get Google Maps audio from my iPhone into the car's audio I have to select Bluetooth. Not sure if this requires the USB cable too? Getting the car audio to work is a must and I need further training and/or troubleshooting to get this to work because last time I tried I couldn't get the audio and gave up.

I hope I might learn something helpful here. Thank you.

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use a suction cup mount on the little triangular window for my phone. My dash has a texture that would require an adhesive mount and I don't want to gum it up. It would also make it harder to place my sun screen.

There are lots of map apps and none of them seems to have all the features I want. Google maps are good and Apple is improving. But on a long trip, my trusty old Garmin Nuvi5LM is a requirement. I have a weighted base for it that sits on the dash and rarely moves around.

I really dislike having the maps way down on the car's display. It requires looking too far away from the road for too long to be useful and safe at the same time.