1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Honda Fit Hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Sergiospl, Jul 19, 2013.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Next-gen Honda Fit Hybrid could get 85 mpg in Japan

The japanese JC08 test. The aqua (japanese version of the prius c) got 83 mpg on that test, the fit hybrid 85 mpg. The prius liftback got 77 mpg. It is a much easier test than the epa 5 cycle test. YMMV. Before Toyota released the prius c in the US they put out a lot of press releases about it getting better mileage on the JC08 and 10-15 tests in Japan than the liftback, but when they tested it on the EPA it just had a different mix to get combined 50 mpg - 53/46 instead of 51/48. The fit hybrid that scored high on the test is for the japanese market, not the US market and should do quite well in sales there. The hybrid vehicle rumored to be coming to the US is a CUV based on that platform.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The whole period before the release of the Gen 3 Toyota Prius and the "New" Insight was when I first became interested in Hybrids and when I discovered Prius Chat.

My memory is that both Toyota and Honda fed off each other with the speculation and hype surrounding the release of both products. Anticipation was rabid for both the new Prius, AND the supposed Prius killer, in the new Insight.

But to me, it's real simple. When the bullet hit the bone, Honda simply didn't have the better product or the better price. Locally, in my area, upon early release Honda Dealers were marking up the Insight, so a base Insight cost about as much as a Prius II. The Prius was bigger, more comfortable, more efficient...it beat it on almost every level. Prices finally reduced on The Insight but by that time it was a little late.

Honda tried to market the Insight as the Hybrid for Everyone, but that really didn't fly when the their dealerships were trying to sell them for 2-3 thousand dollars more than sticker.

I think the almost simultaneous release of The Insight and The New Gen 3 Prius, helped both companies by creating interest in both products in speculation and comparison. But I think once released then the comparison hurt Honda. Because once released the comparison was so extreme in difference.

Had Honda been able to execute the concept. That is a Hybrid that really was significantly cheaper than a Prius, or REALLY a Hybrid for everyone...then it may of been a much bigger success. I thought their advertising at the time was actually very good. I think they gave up on the Insight a little too easily.

Now Toyota years later has the Prius for everyone.....with the Prius c, you have the most economical entry level Hybrid you can purchase.

I like Honda, have owned Honda's as well a Toyota's. I hope Honda can recapture some of the deserved respect they used to have for products like the original Insight. But they don't seem to know what they want to do, or even should be doing.

I think if you boil everything down, The Prius has succeeded because it is a great product. And very simply, Honda's products in the realm of Hybrids haven't been great since the release of the original Insight.

The new Accord Hybrid sounds interesting. I really hope all the "tweaking" Honda seems to be doing with their hybrid system results in a tangible improvement and a product that creates a real choice and competition for both Toyota and Ford.

But I was looking for my "Next" vehicle at the time of the release of both the Gen 3 Prius and the New Insight. And for me? When I went out and looked at both products, the choice was really no choice. At the time, it was 20,000-21,000 for an Insight....or 22,000 for a very well equipped Prius II. And that barely 1000 dollar savings was not enough to make the Insight the Hybrid for this specific "Everyone".

Having said all this, I tend to think the Insight was and is a better product than it has ever gotten credit for being. Toyota just delivered an early knock-out level punch and Honda never recovered.

I really liked Honda's advertising at the time. But it seemed like Honda also pulled support of the Insight very quickly. I also remember going to the local auto show that year, and there was a huge crowd around The Prius...and Honda had the Insight shoved in a corner, seemingly neglected. It was almost like Honda was embarrassed by their own product.

Honda sometimes doesn't seem to know what they have gotten either wrong or right. I always felt they really didn't support the standard Honda Fit enough. Automotive magazines, online reviews, and owners of The Fit, loved The Fit. But when I went into a Honda dealership to buy a Fit? I got the distinct feeling, I was looking at a 3rd world product that they treated like something of which they were almost ashamed. And The Fit, IMO was/is a great product. The competition has stepped up, but for a while, if you wanted a subcompact hatchback The Fit was simply the best choice you could make. You wouldn't of really known that from a Honda Dealership.

bwilson4web and energyandair like this.
  3. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Looks nice, but did they cheap out on the transmission?

4. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Too late to the party! The original Insight was great, the new insight lost big time to Prius, it will take years for Honda to change perception, and be viewed as a leader in hybrid technology.

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They've chosen to sell it here and the Insight is a dreadful flop.

Maybe it's because Honda Jazz/Fit sales in the US are poor already and adding a hybrid option that will only sell a handful isn't cost effective. General consensus is that Americans don't like small cars. Crazy as many small cars have a lot going for them, but to you bigger is better, even if it's not always :)

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three