1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 milage lower then 2012??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Whirlwind, Mar 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Well, it's not REAL!!!

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    hi can anyone tell me why my beautiful brand new sea glass green 2015 with sunroof is getting less milage then my 2012 blizzard white one did? The new car is in the high forties where the old car was in the low sixties. It's quite a difference. Enough to bother coming in here to ask the board which I hardly ever do.
    The new car does not have ecopia brand tires.
    That's the only difference I can see. I ran those five pounds over. When I noticed I was getting worse milage in the new car, I put five pounds more air in the tires that I believe are yokohamas but not completely sure.
    The car has a great sunroof but I can't believe it adds much additional weight. The milage comparison was done with the roof closed to eliminate drag.
    Please help me with this I'm disappointed I can't average high fifties low sixties any more

Whirlwind

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Time of year? (Gas companies change the formulation of their gas as the seasons vary) I keep accurate logs of the gas consumption of my 2009 Gen II and I've noticed the best I get during the summer months (Jul, Aug,Sep) can be ~51mpg, but in winter (Jan, Feb, Mar) it drops to ~39mpg! …but as they say, YMMV!

BTW: In the summer, the car is wearing Michelin Energy Savers (48F/46R) on 16" Alloy OEM rims, in the winter Bridgestone Blizzaks on 15" steelies (40F/38R) ;)

Also highway driving with the windows (sun-roof) open uses more energy than closing everything and running the A/C

#2 WilDavis, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Did you check to see if the parking brake is dragging?

4. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Well, it's not REAL!!!

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe the gas... But I live in Fl I don't know if they really reformulate it?
    The parking brake indicator is not on. Does it still drag? I will push it in and release it. No hills here. Never use it.

5. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I joined Fuelly last month, I wondered about the reasons for the different gas mileage averages for the different Gen 3 model years.

Toyota Prius Mileage | Fuelly

Summary

2010 46.4 (843 vehicles)
    2011 47.1 (419)
    2012 48.4 (760)
    2013 47.3 (533)
    2014 48.0 (254)
    2015 45.1 (163)

I was expecting that the 2010s would have the lowest gas mileage of the Gen 3s because of higher mileage and maintenance issues with age such as clogged EGR systems, but the 2015s are the lowest. What are the differences between model years that could make a noticeable difference? I know the intake manifolds changed many times - probably a lot of other little things too. Is there a noticeable break-in time that might cause the low average for the 2015s?

#5 Lightning Racer, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    Bay Stater likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Good catch:
    Before drawing any conclusions about the 2015, it makes sense to plot the distribution of MPGs. The reason is I've seen a bi-modal distribution in the early 2010 data suggesting there are two, distinct groups of Prius owners and driving styles. Also, it helps to have at least a full year after the model year, to even out climate and terrain effects.

Given the model year starts in the Fall (I suspect), the cold-weather, early purchasers would have more entries than the Spring purchasers. Given the 2016 went on sale in the middle of February 2016, take another peek at the data in February 2017 to ensure a full operational year of the 2015 model.

Personally, a 2015 would be a better buy compared to our 2010 if only because all known factory improvements are in those cars. We have a 2003 Prius and it has been relatively trouble free compared to the 2001-2002 models.

Bob Wilson

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles have you put on her, how many tankful's, and how are you calculating mpg's?

8. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

My 2015 is one of the higher-mileage ones on Fuelly, but you will see my mileage get (rightfully) decreased by cold winter temperatures and winter grade fuel. I have not blocked my grill, and I drive in "Normal" mode around 100% of the time.

I believe bwilson is 100% correct that there are lower 2015 Fuelly mileage averages because:

1) Many eco-focused early adopters have already purchased or have moved on to Teslas/Leafs/Volts/etc.
    2) Gas is much cheaper nowadays, decreasing the financial benefit of sensible Prius driving techniques
    3) The "lame duck" 2015 was a tremendous value with large discounts from MSRP (over $4K for me) and 0% financing, attracting "value" shoppers who weren't willing to pay a hybrid premium in the past
    4) A significant portion of the late-purchased 2015's have had a full winter, but not a full summer.

He is correct that a 2015 is a great deal because of all the factory improvements helping reliability. Also, late model 2014's and 2015's have the chassis stiffening that improved small-overlap crash test ratings from "Poor" on the 2010-2013 to "Adequate" on the late model 2014's and 2015's. (see
    Vehicle details
    )

#8 breakfast, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    Bay Stater likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yea, I thought they'd never leaf. <grins>

Bright people, they were sometimes a little "Type A" about 'you must pulse-and-glide; you must feather the throttle, and; Release the Gertes.' Now they've self-selected to EV technology where such nonsense becomes redundant. In contrast, our quirky Prius control laws provide no end of amusement . . . and 3x to 5x the range before stopping at a gas station.

Bob Wilson

breakfast, Bay Stater and DonDNH like this.
  10. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My bet is the tires. we are comparing new tires (maybe not even LRR) with old used LRR tires that have better efficiency.
    prius is very sensitive to tires. i went from used ecopias to new continentals (supposedly LRR) and my MPG went from near 60 to low 50's overnight. i still average near 50mpg 30,000 miles later. same commute.

furthermore, the OP didn't explain if he went from 15" tires to 17" or not.

11. Phatlife

Phatlife Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I'm getting average commute of 44 mile at 60 to 70 mph mixed highway and city of average of 56 mpg or more...

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

12. Phatlife

Phatlife Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    could be multiple reasons. close your windows, use ac, the cooler the battery the better performance. don't slam the gas pedal, speed up coast and speed up again.. give transmission a try.. coast instead of breaking often.. use better gasoline, costco by me went great fuel to crap in the past few weeks. use premium to clean out every couple tanks, I do 1 premium fill for every 20 regular fill ups.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

13. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What was your testing methodology for this mileage comparison?