1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Prius Base Model Maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Dinesh PIllai, Nov 15, 2022.

1. Dinesh PIllai

Dinesh PIllai New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi All,

This is my very first post in this group - I have taken my 2015 Prius base model to the dealership today and I was asked to perform the following things

1. Car doesnt start often because Aux battery is low - Dealership's recommendation is - replace Aux battery and quote is $536 (parts and labor included) - is this high?
    2. Old license plate needs to be replaced - its not coming off -they are asking $160 for it - sounds too high to me

Below ones are recommended by them - are there anything I can do myself? I am not a pro with car repair. Are these prices in acceptable range?
    3. AC refresh service - $170
    4. Coolant Service - $170
    5.Transmission Exchange: $300
    6. Fuel System treatment, throttle body service , upper induction service etc. - $230
    7. Brake fluid service: $140 -
    8. Hybrid cooling fan service -$330

Thank you in advance!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What’s the miles and months on it?

Just at first glance, many of the items are surplus to requirements and very overpriced.

If you’re capable of swapping the battery yourself compatible new ones average around $200 USD in the States.

The transaxle fluid change is definitely not in the schedule, nevertheless worthwhile. It is comparable to an oil change for expense and labour, should not be much more than $100 USD.

If your AC is working well you don’t need that.

Fuel system service is a waste of money. If you want to: DIY throttle body cleaning is easy, there’s a video here I could link.

brake fluid change again, not on US schedule but recommended by Toyota Canada, tri-yearly or 30k miles. $140 is not too bad. Do insist they test drive after, and caution them to not lose bleed bolt rubber caps.

coolant service: there’s two, for engine and inverter, depends on miles/months, so please post that. Price a little high.

cleaning hybrid fan takes about an hour, relatively easy DIY. Should be about $100 USD, more is a rip.

license plate bolt seized: very frustrating; someone reported this here before. I would try to DIY, go at it from inside (you’ll need to pop off interior panels): spray from inside with some rust penetrant. Let soak, then tap with hammer on outside a few time, then try breaking it loose with very firm pressure.

license plate bolts should be removed yearly, a light oil applied occasionally (once is usually enough). Say when you’re waxing the car, or insurance renewal.

a manual impact driver is good for this.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Nov 15, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    Montgomery and Dinesh PIllai like this.
  3. Dinesh PIllai

Dinesh PIllai New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thank you for the advice!!! It has 82K miles and 87 months old

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dinesh, where do you live? Perhaps there is another place that can take a look at your car.

Dinesh PIllai likes this.
  5. Dinesh PIllai

Dinesh PIllai New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I am in Phoenix - thats exactly I too was thinking

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Engine coolant change not due till 100k miles or 120 months (aka 10 years). Inverter coolant change not due till 150K miles 180 months (aka 15 years).

Do you have the Toyota USA Warranty and Maintenance Booklet? What's required maintenance, and when, is detialed in that. If the booklet's missing, you can download a pdf from the "manuals" section of Toyota Tech Info site.

The booklet is event-by-event, which is hopeless if you're trying to see when something specific is due, or get the big picture. I went through it, converted to spreadsheet format (attached). If spreadsheet doesn't work and you're interested, I can create and post a pdf conversion.

Attached Files:

Mr. F likes this.