1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Prius C 99k: engine rattle on start and acceleration first 15 min

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by manydelays, Feb 13, 2023.

1. manydelays

manydelays New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hi!

My 2015 Prius C has a worrisome rattle/flapping sound when starting, idling, and accelerating for the first 10-15 or so minutes. It is definitely coming from the engine and is audible inside the vehicle as well as outside.

I did some research and came up with a few potential causes:

-spark plugs (that would be great)
    -EGR Valve / System clog
    -failed head gasket

When I took the car into the shop upon purchase, the shop was unable to replicate the sound - probably because I had to drive a while to get there. When I took to the dealership, they informed me of a timing seal leak/seepage that would require a $2k+ repair. Although, I am not sure this is related to the rattle.

I have not noticed any coolant leakage, so I am fairly sure it is not a failed head gasket.

Could anyone shine some light on the EGR valve/system possibility?
    I have great fuel economy, no smells, no smoke, no nada except for this rattle.

To describe the sound even better, it almost sounds like a flapping? I feel it is definitely related to the passage of air through some component and possibly temperature is a variable (due to the fact it fades when the car has been running for some time)

Thank y'all for your time and consideration.

2. manydelays

manydelays New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Another Prius C driver listed this sound as a "mystery ticking" which also increased during acceleration. I do believe we are referring to the same phenomenon.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the timing seal is a bogus way to make the dealer big bucks. can you leave it overnight so the mech can drive it cold?
    egr is probably worth cleaning, although i don't think it has the same issues as the lift back.

it's early for plugs, but easy to check. a leak down test can confirm hg go/no go

how is the oil level? is it the correct weight?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you saying you just bought the car in this condition?

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Ignore the timing cover seep. That's all it is. A drop or two of oil a month.

It's early for plugs, but not that early. Lots of documentation of worn plugs causing ignition misfires, and even more about misfires being particularly noisy in the Prius engine- all posted on this site.

So given the good running, good MPG and other info I'd say install new plugs and maybe think about changing gas stations.

bisco likes this.
  6. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try BG moa for hybrids. It's an oil additive that eliminates loud ticks and quiets engines down.

7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    To add to earlier:

I have not driven my own Prius in Los Angeles, but I did live there years ago.

I had a Ford truck that really did not run properly when I used grocery store or warehouse club gasoline, but when I filled up at an oil company station like Shell or Mobil or 76 it ran great.

Just tossing that out there.

nicoj36 likes this.