1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Prius C - just had to get new battery..

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TimoSpenter56, Feb 2, 2021.

1. topshot

topshot Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    What dealer was selling the OEM 12V for a mere $130??? That's cheaper than you can usually get aftermarket on sale.

2. Pri3C

Pri3C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I ordered a new 12v battery yesterday from this Toyota dealership for $193 ($213 total with shipping). I recently removed the 12v when I thought my car was broken. The car wasn’t broken.. btw.. just dumb owner error, but I had the battery tested and recharged it myself. The battery’s still good, but it’ll be 7 years old in October (according to the date on it), so I’m sure it’s going to need replacing sooner than later, and I figured it was best to preemptively purchase now, as I remember reading posts on here about the OEM 12v for the Prius C being on backorder not too long ago.

I have a 12v socket splitter in the front that displays the voltage of the 12v. I’m not sure how accurate the readings are, but yesterday I noticed it was in the low 13s while driving when it’s usually always in the 14 range. I will replace it before my next big trip.

I know it can be a little intimidating to remove the battery, but all you need is a 10mm wrench and socket.. and to take out the hybrid safety plug. The job isn’t for everyone, but I wouldn’t pay $200+ in labor for something I can manage myself in 10-20 minutes.

#22 Pri3C, Apr 25, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  3. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Isn't it the charging voltage when you are driving?

Pri3C likes this.
  4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes. And the reading in the low 13's probably just means that it is fully charged.

Pri3C likes this.
  5. Pri3C

Pri3C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks guys, that’s good to know. Still, at nearly 7 years old, I’m sure it’s in the latter part of its lifecycle.

I’m not going to rush to change and recycle it just yet, but I’ll be glad to have a new one on standby. It’s not uncommon for me to take 2k+ mile trips in the spring and summer to remote locations where I don’t want to be stuck with a dead battery.