1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Prius C three adding backup camera

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by Joseph Lim, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Joseph Lim

Joseph Lim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi

I have a 2015 Prius C three which doesn't have backup camera. I'm trying to add backup camera. I have some questions;

1. Does the poem head unit has video input connector on it?
    I assume that I can add a backup camera as long as OEM head allows video input. I checked the user manual but couldn't find any info about video input.

2. May I swap 2015 Prius C four head unit with current C three head unit?
    I believe that C four has back up camera which means it should have camera input. Then, can I just replace the head unit to have video input?

Thanks

2. Joseph Lim

Joseph Lim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Specifically, I want to know whether my Entune display has 28pin video input port?
    If so, I'm thinking to buy a 28pin/RCA video cable and a simple universal backup camera like this one at eBay;

1. Cable
    AV Video Audio Cable for Toyota Touch 2 and ENTUNE OEM Monitors Head Units($25)

2. Backup camera
    HD Waterproof 170° Car Reverse Backup Night Vision Camera Rear View Parking Cam($9.99)

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know if yours will be wired for the camera. Keep in mind it's possible to have the 28-pin connector present but without all pins populated. The good news is, it takes all of 5 minutes and a screwdriver to get your stereo out to check.

You should know that Toyota head units supply 6V power to Toyota cameras. Most aftermarket cameras and head units work on 12V.

4. Joseph Lim

Joseph Lim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for info. I tried to find any Youtube video for removing the radio because I don't want to maker any damage while removing it. Any suggestion?

5. Joseph Lim

Joseph Lim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Am I understanding right?
    I understand that camera signal is connected to reverse light cable and then to head unit through 28pin.
    Isn't reverse light has 12v power which in this case shares 12v with camera?

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota supplies power to its camera and receives the video back using 4 wires in that 28-pin connector. You'll be altering that by running a wire up out of the rear hatch and into one of the lamp assemblies to the reverse lamp, right? So now you only need the video signal & ground lines in that 28 pin.

To get the deck out, you remove the trim bezel. It's one piece, it's got about 8 popit anchors, usually easiest to start on the right side of the climate pod. A plastic prybar is helpful. You can also use a flat screwdriver covered in tape to prevent marks on the plastic. Just get it loose and work your way around and at some point the rest of it will let go and it all comes off in one pop.

Then take out the four screws holding the stereo bracket in place and the whole unit tumbles right out so you can check the wiring before committing to a change.

7. Joseph Lim

Joseph Lim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks so much.

I still don't get 6v issue.
    I just want to see back when the transmission is on reverse.

As already described, my current plan is as below;

1. Install 12v waterproof camera on the hatch
    2. Get 12v power from reverse lamp power wire
    3. Connect rca video to head unit using 28pin rca cable

Do you think my plan will work?
    Thanks

8. Joseph Lim

Joseph Lim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a chance to remove the head unit to see the connectors.
    It was different from other Prius c. I think I need to figure out which port is for backup camera.

[​IMG]

9. Joseph Lim

Joseph Lim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Before I take it out, I assumed that I would see either 28pin for video or 16pin but none.
    I'm not sure the center right 28pin on the above picture is the one I'm looking for.