1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Prius C - trouble starting

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by arothmd, May 16, 2023.

1. arothmd

arothmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    2015 Prius C. Intermittently, when I put the key in and turn it on, all the lights light up as usual, except the READY light. All electronics work (radio, lights, etc.) but the motor doesn't go. Started about a year ago, was occurring about once a month but is now more frequent - almost daily. But never twice in a row. If I take the key out and wait 2 minutes and repeat the normal start-up process, the READY light comes up and the car starts. If I try sooner than 2 minutes, it doesn't work. I take multiple trips throughout the day, both short and long -- no specific pattern. It is not the battery. Have taken it to dealer, but it doesn't happen in front of the dealer so they cannot diagnose. Please advise. Thank you.

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I thought the Three trim used a pushbutton start system? Or perhaps that wasn't true until a later model year?

Can you clarify whether yours has a traditional ignition lock on the side of the steering wheel, or a pushbutton starter?

3. arothmd

arothmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    No button; it has a traditional key ignition on the side of the wheel post.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Then my first guess is a dirty or failing contact in the actual ignition switch there on the steering column.

It sounds like the increase in incidence may soon make it easier to demonstrate at a repair shop.

5. Toothpicker

Toothpicker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Same issue with my car. it is 2012 pc 2. I highly doubt this is a mechanical issue with the ignition switch. More likely it can be related to not competed prep cycle. Either weak battery or ….

6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Does that model also require your foot on the brake to do a full "start" ?

Could be a sign of a weak 12 V battery too......not properly booting up some of the
    electronic boards.

7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    No need for foot-on-brake in our twist-key Two, but I can't speak for older model years.

Foot naturally goes on the brake about then anyway because it is needed to shift out of Park, but that's just coincidental.

8. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like the 12v battery to me. Especially if it's the original. Although that 2 minute wait you describe makes me think there might be something else going on as well.

But I'm really curious how you got a trim 3 without push button start.