1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Prius C with full stereo install

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by randy8876, Sep 3, 2015.

1. randy8876

randy8876 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    Picked up my new car and took it home to remove the seats and door panels and everything in the trunk to do a full stereo install.

Here's my equipment list:
    1. Second Skin Damplifier for doors and under carpet. Spectrum for the hatch area.
    2. Audison Bit10. Could have used an Audiocontrol component for $200, but was curious to try the Bit10.
    3. Morel Tempo 6 6.5" Components and Co-axials.
    4. JL 10TW3 sub. It's the only shallow sub I've heard that I liked.
    5. JL XD700/5 amplifier. Highly efficient amp, not too much power so it should strain the electrical system.

Give me a moment to load everything. Unfortunately I'm missing a few pics....not sure where they went.

Chris92057 and ftl like this.
  2. randy8876

randy8876 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    Lets start with the sub, since it seems to be everyone's favorite thing.I used fiberglass and MDF. If I did it again I would make a few changes that would cost slightly more but get the job done faster.

First I pulled everything out of the hatch area.
    1.jpg

Then I went crazy painting it with 1 gallon of Spectrum.

2.jpg

Then I reinstalled everything except the passenger side foam piece. I put blue painters tape down on the areas I planned glass. Then covered all the edges with plastic. I brought the plastic up to the headliner just to minimize fumes going into the car. After the tape is in place use spray glue and attach aluminum foil. Use non-stick foil and your life will be easier... 3.jpg

I carefully lay out woven cloth fiberglass to start. It's easy to work with and not messy. I left the spare and designed the box to fit beside it so if I get a flat I won't have to deal with moving a box.
    4.jpg

3. randy8876

randy8876 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    After the cloth is all in place I just paint it with resin. I add some chop strand mat, but don't get too crazy with it while in the car. No need to be hunched over and stinking up a new car. 5.jpg
    Unfortunately I was in a rush and didn't thoroughly get all the pics. After it's pulled from the car it just needs lots of chopped mat for reinforcing it. Then the top is attached with liquid nails & screws.
    6.jpg

The gap I was able to wrap with a shirt and glass over. While the shape looks crazy, it contours around the tire. The original foam I cut so the carpet still sits flat. I put a speaker plug in one side of the box and eventually painted it all with resin to help waterproof it.

Attached Files:

4. randy8876

randy8876 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    With some cutting I was able to keep the hatchmat. I'll get silicone and build up an edge around the sub later. But I get most of my hatch area still. And yes, I've had stuff on the grill and it wasn't an issue. 20150824_134021.jpg

yOsHi LiN likes this.
  5. randy8876

randy8876 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    I dropped to ball on door panel pics. I'll search, but so far I think I deleted them on accident.
    The Morel Tempo 6 Co-Axes come pre-wired and will just barely reach under the passenger seat from the drivers side rear door without having to splice anything. The JL XD700/5 fits perfectly under the passenger seat.
    20150810_192101.jpg 20150811_141344.jpg

6. randy8876

randy8876 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    The Bit10 is installed inside the dash. A USB cable goes to the glove box and it can be programmed via my tablet. It's pretty sweet, but likely overkill. Unfortunately no pics.

You can see the door panel some in this pic. I used 2sq.ft. on the inside of the door and the sealed up the inner skin of the door. The seats were out to add sound deadening under the carpet and carefully run all the wires. The car looks stock, except the sup in the trunk. 20150810_192044.jpg

Hit me up with questions. I'll get some other pics later if anyone wants something specific.

As far as the sound, it's amazing. The Morels hit pretty hard without a sub, but the JL 10" will blur vision if cranked up. Now I just have to find & fix some rattles.

7. randy8876

randy8876 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    And if you're curious as to a shopping list:
    $300 JL 10TW3-D4
    $350 JL XD700/5
    $350 Morel Tempo 6
    $300 Morel Tempo 6C
    $500 Audison Bit10 (can get online for $270 or less sometimes)
    $90 Second Skin Damplifier B-stock 16 sheets
    $70 Second Skin Spectrum 1 gallon

1 gallon of resin from US Composites is all you would need. I had a bunch of mat, but it didn't take a lot. If I did it again I'd make a curved MDF piece for where the tire is as the top part of the frame from 1" thick MDF. It would have made glassing the enclosure much easier.

8. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Nice job. Would have liked to have seen door panel pictures. How did you get them off?

- Galaxy S5

9. Chris92057

Chris92057 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    that's some dedication and great handiwork. How many bounces per gallon are you getting? :)

OldNo7 likes this.
  10. randy8876

randy8876 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    I'll get a picture with the door panel off tomorrow. It's just 3 screws and those upholstery plastic push pins. Remove the window switch and use an upholstery tool or carefully pry the panel off. After it's away from the door disconnect the door handle from the inside of the panel.

Pics will make it easier to understand.

Bounces per gallon???

Chris92057 likes this.
  11. randy8876

randy8876 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    Here you can see how the foam sits by the box and the spare is still in place. 20150905_103138.jpg

Motov8r likes this.
  12. randy8876

randy8876 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    Here's a door panel after sound deadening and installing the Morel Tempo 6 components. There's also sound deadening inside the door. Use peel and stick type only, liquid tends to gum up important stuff.
    20150907_113337.jpg 20150907_113315.jpg

yOsHi LiN, orenji and Motov8r like this.
  13. Chris92057

Chris92057 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    With that speaker system, you'll be bouncin' down the road in style! :)

14. CowsGoMooooooooo

CowsGoMooooooooo New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    What kind of mount did you use for the speaker? Or was that just your own mount cut out of wood? I was curious as if anyone makes a universal speaker holder that keeps behind the speaker sealed or as sealed as it can be to prevent random rattling and all.

Also is there any way to get an adapter to make the factory aux to work? I have a few years old JVC DOuble din has an aux on the front and the rear.

15. randy8876

randy8876 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    I just used scraps of MDF that were left over from the subwoofer box build. But there are nice plastic adapters available for purchase.

I didn't do the adapter after marker head unit fiasco. The stock head unit has so many integrated features I didn't want to deal with a ton of adapters to get them all to work.

16. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Great work. I have all the material ready for this sound deadening project but I just cant find time.

orenji likes this.
  17. randy8876

randy8876 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    I did mine over 3 days. The doors can be done very fast, but if you're replacing the door speakers you'll want to do it at the same time (boosting the job time). Start with the rear doors and you'll just lose those tunes and still be able to drive. Once you take out a seat I wouldn't suggest re-connecting the battery until the seats are reinstalled and plugged in.

What type of deadening did you get? Hopefully you'll do better with pictures than I did.

#17 randy8876, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does stock unit have coax pre-outs?

Is there place to put amp under the dash?

19. randy8876

randy8876 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    No RCA's/co-ax on the deck. But the Bit10 converts and gives the turn on signal and a clear RCA signal and its small enough to hide in the dash. You could put the amp up under the dash, but my concern would be cooling it. I didn't even try since the amp fits so perfectly under the seat and it made wiring the amp easier than any amp install I've ever done.I would have needed longer power, ground and speaker wires if the amp was further forward.

20. rufnusd

rufnusd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Randy..... I am piecing together my old getup from a couple years ago. Did you figure out the volume of this enclosure by chance? I was hoping it would match my subwoofers T/S parameters...... Thank you in advance. Great job BTW.